Home Security

T

ThomasJ

Hi All,

I am a new member of this forum and firstly I would like to say that I find it very informative indeed, there are some very good ideas links etc, I particularly like the Craic section.

Because of this I feel as if I am obliged to let all of you good people out there about the experience I have encountered.

I have been having numerous problems with gangs of young fellas hanging around my home, they were continuously making noise until the late hours of the morning and damaging my own car and others around them, ( I now know that this is a regular occurrence in housing estates).

I had called the gardai on numerous occasions but typically they were no help as i couldn't prove who it was..

I was a stumped.. The only solution was to go buy a CCTV system, but I couldn't afford this...

Then I was in my local shopping centre and I saw a stall which had tiny cameras that you could setup on your home TV, I bought one plugged it in through my video and boom instant picture and low and behold that night I was able to watch the bastards outside.

I then called the gardai and had the proof that I needed so much before now..

The website is www.microdigicam.com and based in Ireland, i have no affiliation to this what so ever but I feel that there are many more out there like me who could benefit from this.

Thanks again for a wonderful site, i hope many people can benefit from this.

when you say your "not affiliated" are you not a proprietary director of the company that imports the cameras

Absolutely Not.... I simply wanted to share my experience with other out there. thats all..

When building a new house, would it be a good idea to make provision for connecting the ariel lead from the CCTV camera outside to the TV? I was thinking of perhaps increasing the size of the conduit which the ariel co-axial will run from the loft to the TV point in so I could run the CCTV lead down it also. Is this a good idea ?

GG

Geegee,

I think what you are asking is about cableing??

I wouldn't know as the cameras I bought are wireless from I think 100m away . No need for wiring

Isn't it a legal requirement that if you have CCTV installed you have to have a sign up informing people? Or is it enough to have visible equipment so that it can be reasonably assumed that people are aware they are being filmed. Perhaps that doesn't count on private property. But then what about equipment on private property which also films the area around that property.

With regard to the original problem posted about, my brother in law had a similar problem a few years ago. He went up into a bedroom of his house with a dictaphone, opened the window and taped the noisy teenagers in question. There was enough chat to be able to identify most of the crowd. Next time they were creating a racket he went out, played back the tape for them and told them he was going to contact their parents and/or the gardai. Luckily for most this was enough of a threat to work. Same thing happens almost every summer when a new batch of teenagers gets old enough to be able to stay out that bit longer in the evenings but not old enough to get into a pub.

Back