Home maker - Welfare benefits now and PRSI credits upon retirement age

Donnie

Hi all,

Here are some brief details about our situation.

Donnie: Employed with an annual base salary of €93k
Spouse: Full Time home maker/stay at home mother.
Tax Status: Jointly assessed for Tax
Dependents: 2 children (aged 5 and 3)
Other income sources: Monthly child benefit payments for 2 children. No other income sources for my spouse or I.
Donnie Tax Credits/Reliefs: Personal Tax credit of €3,300, employee tax credit of €1,650, Home carer's tax credit of €1,600.
Spouse Tax Credits/Reliefs: None.

I just had a general query about my spouse. She has been a full time home maker as I mentioned above for the past 5 years and earning no income at all during that time. Are there any other social welfare benefits or tax credits/reliefs that she is entitled to/or we are entitled to?

Also in order to keep up her PRSI records so she will be entitled to her full state pension when she reaches retirement age, is there any other processes or forms that she needs to fill in? We are just wary that since she has had no income and is jointly assessed for tax for at least 5 years now, her records may not be maintained in somehow and she could possibly lose out on some of her state pension entitlements when she reaches retirement age.

Thanks,
Donnie

She has been a full time home maker as I mentioned above for the past 5 years and earning no income at all during that time. Are there any other social welfare benefits or tax credits/reliefs that she is entitled to/or we are entitled to?
See here:
Also in order to keep up her PRSI records so she will be entitled to her full state pension when she reaches retirement age, is there any other processes or forms that she needs to fill in?
This might be relevant?

It sounds odd, but there is no form or application for the Homemakers scheme.

There are conditions, though.

Okay, okay.

For the majority of "Homemakers" who are SAHP, there is no need to register:

Registering as a homemaker​

You should register before the end of the contribution year after the year in which you first become a homemaker. An application may be backdated if there is a delay in submitting the claim. To register fill out the Homemaker's form (HM1) (pdf).

You do not need to register if you:

You do not need to register because your claim for Child Benefit, Carer's Allowance, Carer's Benefit or the Carer's Support Grant is treated as an application to be registered as a homemaker.

Okay, okay.

For the majority of "Homemakers" who are SAHP, there is no need to register:
That's not what you previously said.
The original poster's spouse should check that they are covered by the Homemaker's Scheme and, if not, apply for it.

Last edited:
You do not need to register because your claim for Child Benefit, Carer's Allowance, Carer's Benefit or the Carer's Support Grant is treated as an application to be registered as a homemaker.
I understand that this was not always done historically and you should check in case it wasn't.

As she is in receipt of child benefit she is therefore registered for Homemakers Years.
Only those who do not receive Child Benefit need to register.

Example:- If she decided to go back to work and husband became homecarer He would need to register as he is not in receipt of Child Benefit.

We don't know that she rather than he is registered for child benefit even if that's the most common arrangement for heterosexual married couples.

(Actually we don't know that the couple are heterosexual! ;) )

Back