Home Home insurance

T

the sham

I am in the process of purchasing home insurance as we have just bought our first home. The contents is insured for 25000 but I want to know do I need to list items for the contents..I also would like to know do the engagement ring need to be listed separately...it is all new to us and all policies are different...I don't know do I need to list all valuables or are the covered under the contents...all info received would be great as I'm a little confused with everything at the moment.
Regards

I also would like to know do the engagement ring need to be listed separately...

Yes. It should be itemised on the policy. It's likely that you will also need to provide a professional valuation report if it is over a certain value.

You may want to insure jewelery on an All Risks basis. More expensive but covered if lost or stolen while you are away from your home. If they are covered under All Risks no need to include under contents.

All policies have a maximum limit per item. If the value of your item eg engagement ring goes over the maximum limit then you need to specify it. Otherwise if you have a claim the most you will get is the maximum limit. Check your policy schedule which should tell you

As stated by others all risk is a better but more expensive cover as it covers items when outside of the home also

On a similar note I would think of listing/getting valued any personal affects you have inherited that family members tell you is worth lots!

Back