Home Home insurance tripled but other insurers won't quote

lou2

Can anyone help with this? My home insurance is due for renewal but has almost tripled from 340 to 980. I do have a claim in at the moment relating to water damage from a frozen pipe during the cold snap. This has been agreed with the insurer's loss adjuster and is being processed. I also had a very small claim (bout 300 i think) about 2 years ago or so for a broken window. I'm not an habitual claimer and have only ever claimed for real damage which is apparent to the loss adjuster. When I rang other insurers they won't quote me because a) I have 2 claims in 3 years and b) one claim was for over 3,500 (the water damage; new kitchen required). I'm not sure what to do now as this new premium is just so expensive and money is tight. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

You are pretty much stuck with the company you are with due to the claims. To reduce their premium you could;

- review your contents cover, if it seems too large you could reduce it.
- you could ask them if they would increase the excess to reduce the premium.

Either way your policy wouldnt be as good but it may be cheaper.

www.CheaperLifeAssurance.ie

You are pretty much stuck with the company you are with due to the claims. To reduce their premium you could;

- review your contents cover, if it seems too large you could reduce it.
- you could ask them if they would increase the excess to reduce the premium.

Either way your policy wouldnt be as good but it may be cheaper.

In general the above is correct but be very careful with the contents section of this idea as if you need to claim for contents you need to make sure you have covered the value of what you own as an assessment could show you underinsured which could result in only a % been paid out.

Back