Home insurance - can't determine age of building

tomdublin

Difficult question so any help appreciated: I live in a house for which there are no official records as to when it was built. When taking out home insurance in the past I indicated that the house was 130 years old as this was a rough estimate by the surveyor. In the meantime, I did some research which suggests that the house was built later than that. The 1901 census building return form indicates that the building has 2 front windows whereas the 1911 census indicates that it has 4 front windows, thus suggesting that the house was rebuilt sometime during that period (though it's not clear whether it was totally rebuilt or just had a floor added to it). As insurance for post-1900 houses is significantly cheaper, I'm not sure what to do as I don't want to take any risk with insurance not paying up. If it came to it, would what's on these census forms be accepted as proof?
Thanks for your help!

There must be some record. What do deeds say?

As you say, insurers need to be told the truth. If you are happy and can prove that it was built post 1911, well and good. But, could it be that there was a renovation and extra windows were installed? Is this a rebuild??

The records of property ownership in Ireland are a bit of a dog's dinner for a few reasons.
I am unsure if the census information would constitute definitive evidence as distinct from educated prognostication or circumstantial evidence.

As Ravima asks what do the deeds say ? Presumably some searches were done in relation to the conveyancing of this property to OP.

OP may have to speak with the Registry of Deeds and/or the Land Registry to see what they can offer in terms of how far back their records go. It might then be necessary to do some formal searches with the Registry of Deeds and or the Land Registry to see if they have any evidence of acts (transactions) relating to the specific property. This may require a bit of deep delving and there will be search fees.

OP is entirely correct to try and get clarity on age so that there is no misrepresentation issue created at a later date.

If OP cannot get a definitive statement of age I suggest that he submits the surveyor's report to the insurance underwriters with a view to forming an agreement with them as to what will be accepted and agreed mutually as the age or even nominal age of the property for insurance purposes. This would obviate any issues arising at a later date in relation to age.

Back