Home heating oil economy

S

sinead76

Came home to a freezing cold house yesterday - unexpectedly run out of oil. I got a 1000l fill about 4-5 months ago which I suppose isn't too bad cos they were some cold months!
Other half had the timer set to an hour on/an hour off between 5pm and 10pm but then I set it to run continuously from 5-10 as I thought turning it on and off might do more harm than good.

Does anyone have any tips for economising on kerosene? I actually work for an oil co. but of course they're not going to tell me that. Boiler is always at its lowest setting as it is

Check your insulation.

I did this and found it very patchy. There was a sprinkling of mashed up paper/fiberglass type stuff, maybe a couple of centimetres thick. I bought rolls of rockwool and put these down instead. The house retains the heat much better.

Cost = €300-€400 and time spent laying it down.

Rockwool

I have to lay attic insulation but have been procrastinating for sometime now.

Is rockwool a trade name.

Is it the best and cheapest and where can I get it. And how easy is it to lay.

Thanks,

Gunnerbar

Re: Rockwool

I don't know if it's a trademark or not. The reason I chose it was because I used the pink stuff in another project and it was really harsh on my skin. I said to the builders' suppliers - 'not the pink stuff' and they delivered bales of rockwool.

Each bale was split into three pieces. This was really handy as each strip fitted between the joists perfectly. (Saves sawing and releasing tiny fibers). Was easy to lay. My attic is very cramped and the wires kept getting in the way. I did a bit each evening until it was finished.

I ordered it from Smiths builders' suppliers on the Greenhills road, Dublin. They mightn't be the cheapest though.

PS: Don't forget to get a mask, gloves and paper suit.

rockwool...

High gunnerbear!
Rock wool is a product that made from "glass" and some additives.It's major component is silica as far as I know.The fine fibers are kept together by a chemical resin-at least they should be.But the stuff is considered so dangerous that the EU made legislations (still not translated into Irish law!) that it must be wrapped and packed to avoid inhaling the fine fibers(less than 40 micrometers in length).It's effect is similar to asbestos fibers.
The continentals have reacted faster.When you visit the B&Q shop the next time check their insulation material.They offer Irish standard hazardous material as well as the EU standard material.The "new" material-rock wool as well-is from a company "knauf",original a German plasterboard manufacturer but now worldwide expanding.Knauf manufactures rock wool that is wrapped and packed in paper.No itch,no scratch,no protective gear- it says on the packet.All you do is measure out the width of the space you want to cover (usually between the floor beams 30-40 cm) and buy the according material.Roll it out and DON'T cut it,just overlap if necessary.
The fibre problem could be a serious problem if you want to sell your home.Who would buy an asbestos polluted home for example? Well ,our well meaning gouvernment is more bothered about the health of the publicans and their clients than about everyones health-in 99% of all newly build homes loose rock wool is flying around.It's good for business I suppose.....
The best would be to stay away from the rock wool totally,but you need some form of insulation.So sheep wool or other natural materials would be the best but these are also expensive.So a compromise is the wrapped stuff-as long as the package is not open.But didn't they say that about the asbestos as well....
Check the Knauf home page(google), there are other manufacturers as well.
This is the good thing about globalisation:B&Q bought Germany's largest DIY chain OBI and their knowhow and they stick to the higher health standards,one of the rare cases where the consumers can benefit.Do it as well,you have only one lung and one diaphragm-there is no known cure to cancer in the diaphragm caused by mineral fibers.And lung transplants are not covered by our health system.

Re: rockwool...

It's effect is similar to asbestos fibers.

Lovely! :eek

The crap that was already in the attic looked even more dodgy.

I did a bit of research before I started, and discovered not too much information about rockwool. I'm hoping that any fibers I did inhale, that I'll cough up in due course (and they won't be hooked shaped).

Lots of places still sell asbestos products, believe it or not. Buy it from here - [broken link removed]

Canada apparently exports thousands of tonnes of the stuff - [broken link removed]

rocklwell

thanks for all that heinbloed1.

will digest all and make the right choice.

not so high, yet,

gunnerbar.

Back