Home energy welcome bonus

FCBC12

Some energy providers are offering a welcome bonus to switch. Is there anything to stop me switching again once the welcome bonus is received, or is there redress? I'm aware of the early exit fee but it looks to be lower than the welcome bonus.

No, nothing to stop you, apart from having tied yourself into a year or whatever for getting the switch cash.

:

• If you receive a Switching Bonus and cease to take electricity and/or gas from Electric Ireland before the end of price plan contract term, Electric Ireland reserves the right to cancel the Switching Bonus and debit your account with an amount up to the value of the Switching Bonus.

Some energy providers are offering a welcome bonus to switch. Is there anything to stop me switching again once the welcome bonus is received, or is there redress? I'm aware of the early exit fee but it looks to be lower than the welcome bonus.
Why would you do this? You're accepting 200 euros or whatever in good faith to switch for a year. Do you want to switch lots of times in a short space of time to get more ? Of course the energy companys have played out and accounted for this kind of scenario.

I've switched several times (not recently though) while in contract because doing so reduced the costs due to better unit rates plus cashback (where applicable) even after the (usually €50) early exit penalty (which was sometimes not charged for some reason).

So I spoke with Electric Ireland today to confirm end date of my contract (october). I queried was I liable for 50 quid to break contract, or 250 for inclusion of the welcome bonus. I was told I was only liable for 50. I do not know if this was an error on their part, or if it is because I have done 10 months.

The fact I was told 50 only, on a recorded call, would I be in a strong position to argue my case if they charged me 250e? Their website does not state they "will" recover welcome bonus if contract ceases inside 12 months, only that they "reserve the right" to do so.

Back