Home Energy Grants - Roof Repair

Marytconway2010

Do you think there is a grant available to 're roof my house..very expensive 19,000 euro !I'm on a social welfare payment which is my only income. Very small savings available.

Take a look here for the full list of SEAI energy grants available. However, there is nothing there that will cover a roof replacement.

There are some other options that may apply to you situation, perhaps the 'Improvement works in lieu of local authority housing'.

Make sure you get a few opinions on the roof state also. It may be able to be patched as an alternative. That said 19k does not seem excessive depending on factors in general.

Thank you..What is difference between tiles and slates regarding pricing. Do you really think that 19,000 Euro is a fair price.My house is a four bedroom L shaped.bungalow also including garage. Thank you so much for your response.

Also ... tiles are heavier so it would demand more timber work for a stronger supporting structure.

Neighbour here put tiles on a roof that previously had slate ... it sagged. Tiles had to be removed and extra timber work installed... a right mess.

And that was the third replacement ... first set of slates had been stored flat, so ended up leaking, second set of slate no better so he opted for tiles third time round but forgot about them being heavier.

.What is difference between tiles and slates regarding pricing.
I would try and replace like for like. Slates are generally grey or near black in color and are made of thin slate. Tiles in my experience are different colors and are about one inch in thickness. I'm no roofer though so maybe someone else would give a more concise explanation of both.

What is difference between tiles and slates regarding pricing.

Taking one supplier as an example, you need ~10 of the typical concrete tiles or ~13 600x300 slates per sqm, 13 slates. Fibre slates are a lot cheaper than natural, but don't look as good.

Use this calculator to work out the total roof area and amount of slates required. Then with the prices above then work out a guide for the cost of the slates. After that, are the timbers in good order or do they need to be repaired? Any chimneys that need their flashing re-done?

Back