Home charger

robert moon

Hi Folks ,

I recently bought a plug-in petrol hybrid . I am currently using a domestic outside socket. Are there any recommendations for an electrican who can install
a fast charger ? I am living in Clontarf in Dublin.

Hello,

You should go for a "Zappi" charger. Lots of installers do them, including most solar energy companies, with price ranging from circa €1,400 - €1,700 (before SEAI Grant of €300, which you must apply for, first).

Make sure you shop around, given prices differ, and also ensure that your select an installer approved by the SEAI.

Grant details can be found here:

Last edited:
Hello,

You should go for a "Zappi" charger. Lots of installers do them, including most solar energy companies, with price ranging from circa €1,400 - €1,700 (before SEAI Grant of €300, which you must apply for, first).

Make sure you shop around, given prices differ, and also ensure that your select an installer approved by the SEAI.

Does that price include fitting as well?
If not, what is the ballpark cost for fitting?

Hello,

Why a zappi ? Unless you really want use excess solar I wouldn’t they appear to have a higher failure rate than others.

There’s a good thread on boards.ie with all the info you could ever need :

If you're only getting a charger installed, you just need to use a registered electrician now and the SEAI just direct you to their listing.

Is there an actual need to have a dedicated charger instead of sticking with the granny cable?
What size is the battery?
A PHEV with a 20 kWh battery would charge from 0-100% in 10 hours with the domestic socket you're currently using.

Is there an actual need to have a dedicated charger instead of sticking with the granny cable?
What size is the battery?
A PHEV with a 20 kWh battery would charge from 0-100% in 10 hours with the domestic socket you're currently using.
From personal experience, I've been using a 'granny' charger for 6 years no issues but it does depend on your usage

Hello,

I have a Zappi for my EV and it has good features, but I don't think it's worth the cost in terms of the value I get out of it. With a PHEV, you would get less value out of it. I would be inclined to go for something cheap but reliable. Probably with a PHEV, you just want to charge it when you have cheap electricity on your tariff.

10 hours would be fine for many, but if they want to do multiple short journeys per day like school pick ups and drop offs, trip to the shops or visiting, the ability to charge much faster would be a bonus. Some of the smart plans are offering 3 hour EV charging windows with rates around 8c a unit.

10 hours would be fine for many, but if they want to do multiple short journeys per day like school pick ups and drop offs, trip to the shops or visiting, the ability to charge much faster would be a bonus. Some of the smart plans are offering 3 hour EV charging windows with rates around 8c a unit.
That is exactly my plan. About 98% of my usage is at thay cost.

Reactions: Leo
Back