Holidays booked to countries now affected with coronavirus.

I would love to know this too. My travel policy excludes pandemics

Reading the small print of my travel insurance today I see that my travel cover covers "medical epidemic" and "pandemic". However it also says there is an exclusion..."You changing your mind to travel or continue with your trip when the local or national authorities confirm that it safe to stay".....I must also get written confirmation of the disaster from the local or national authority of the area where it happened.

I am due to travel to Spain. Simon Harris said that we should not make non essential trips to Spain.... Is this sufficient?

Is travel insurance invalid when a pandemic is declared?
Your policy will state that you should not needlessly exposure yourself to danger. It also says that you have a duty to avoid or minimise a claim, to take reasonable care and to safeguard against illness.

Therefore you can argue that you have decided not to travel because you wanted to safeguard yourself from danger and that by not travelling you were minimising the possibility of a further claim being made......if you got sick or had to pay extra costs because of quarantine, change in flights, hotel costs etc...

I telephoned one of my neighbours in Spain earlier and was informed that parts of the Province of Murcia (30 mins drive south from Alicante airport) are in Lockdown because of the virus. Only trips to pharmacy, supermarket, doctor allowed. I don't have the full details.

All bars and restaurants in Costa Blanca to close from midnight tonight in anticipation of a State of Emergency to be declared all over Spain.

Back