holiday entitlement - school bus employment (No Contract)

deco87

hello , i wanted to try get a bit of advice on my work , entitlement statutory leave rights -

I work the full school year (183 days primary school) - I do not work when the schools are closed of course.

in the summer 7 weeks I sign on for job seekers with the department whilst looking for work ..

I work 25 hours a week

Boss is telling me that he gives me a week ,October and a week at Xmas - thats it -

I have no contract - no idea what i am entitled to - im working here since march 2020

he says they work the calendar year - how can i work out what holidays i am actually entitled to

Last edited:

Hi Deco

Have you gone through the info available on the link above already?

Hope that helps a bit better than my last response on a thread of yours .

Your annual leave entitlement depends on the hours you work throughout the year. Can you be more specific on this?

Your employer is in breach by not providing you with a contract which should outline the terms and conditions of your employment, including annual leave.

Not very approachable- yes , I work , 25 hours every week all throughout the school calendar year . I sign on for job seekers summer months -( end June to end august) I am being told that in total have entitlement to two paid weeks throughout the year . They use the calender year - I’m wondering by me not working the summer is this affecting things for me negatively - I don’t think I’m getting my full entitlement they are very tight financially

In simple terms Holiday entertainment is at least 8% or hours worked. Plus Holiday Hours taken.

How about the other school holidays (e.g. in February, Easter and May)? Do you work then? Are you getting paid for that?

With the 8 % of hours worked - that is the holiday entitlement-
Bit lost with the !plus holiday hours taken -what does that mean exactly please

There are three ways of calculating annual leave for part-time employees and you’re entitled to whichever is the most advantageous to you.

Thanks - is ten months of the year working 25 hours which is all it takes to complete the job -considered part time ?

Calculate your entitlement by reference to weeks rather than months. Some months are longer than others.

If you work, for example, 42 weeks in the year, your entitlement is 42 x 25 x 8% = 84 hours leave.

If you normally work five hours a day, you only need five hours leave to have a full day off.

On this basis, your entitlement expressed in days would be 84/5 - 16 days.

It depends though on the exact number of weeks you work.

Ah that’s absolutely fantastic - I’ll work out near enough exact weeks so and make my case , he tells me 11/12 days is my entitlement - he is definitely being unfair

You could also take the opportunity to say that if you had a contract, which you should have by law, all these issues would be clear.

You could also take the opportunity to say that if you had a contract, which you should have by law, all these issues would be clear.
+1

You will be doing both yourself and him an immeasurable favour by ensuring an employment contract is in place.

Last edited:

So would I be right in thinking that 16 days - works out -( 25 hour working week )- at 3 weeks and a day , statutory leave ? Thks a lot

So would I be right in thinking that 16 days - works out -( 25 hour working week )- at 3 weeks and a day , statutory leave ? Thks a lot
I can't understand your calculation above.

I would work it out as follows :

X = actual hours worked incl paid annual leave already given (X might be 52 wks less 7 wks x 25 hours = 1125hrs pa, according to your 1st post)

X × 8% = Y (your annual entitlement in hours)

Y ÷ 25 = your annual entitlement in weeks, presuming you work 25hr weeks

Edit : I've just seen Savadores similar post above, but that was calculated for 42 weeks worked in a year. Your OP said you sign on for 7 weeks, so work 45 wks in the year

Yup i do indeed sign on for 7 weeks or so , sumner hols so I am off the job books as such - I get paid bank holidays as is the norm in the school bus service - would you agree in or around 16 days ( 3 weeks and a day !) 5 day working week , is approx correct ? Like to be armed with sone facts before I meet boss thansk

So Salvadores calculation would be accurate then , except to replace the 42 with 45 to get the correct annual leave entitlement? Thank you

Yes indeed -I am going to mention it when I call into his office , I just recall the last time I had a query re holiday with him - I mentioned about the year starting March to following March - or whatever the dates are - he said - we operate the calender year here - I said ok , I just wonder now , he has said he can give me a week holiday pay at Xmas if I want it - he won’t be giving me any pay at all next Easter - when a business uses the calender year instead of the actual leave year , does the leave year not end 31 Dec? I am a bit bamboozled!

Again, I find it difficult to follow your post.
What exactly is your Q?
- you need to calculate your annual entitlement, as per Salvadores or my previous responses to you (they are the same calculation)
- your annual entitlement is exactly that, an annual entitlement. Whether your working year runs Jan-Dec or Mar-Mar doesn't matter. You need to calculate on your hours worked in that year.
- If the working year runs from Jan-Dec and you only started in April, you would still need to calculate on *actual* hours worked (for example)

Last edited: