HMRC Replied, is there a new law??

Dalymountroar

Finally got reply from HMRC in relation to paying class 2 or class 3, sent in January, replied in August.

In their reply they say there is a new law and I should check with the pension service to see if paying voluntary contributions will increase my pension entitlement.

First I heard of a new law, anyone able to clarify what this means? Pic of letter below.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1693409264927371109582286676889.jpg
    1693409264927371109582286676889.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 261
Previously you had to have at least 10 years service in order to pay for any years you have missed. There was no limit of how many years you could buy.

I think it was you had to apply before June 2023 to pay for all the years up to 2022 and after this year you could only pay for I think 3 /5years max. You then pay either 6 monthly or yearly.
you first need to apply for a statement to see if it was worth paying for extra years.

Previously you had to have at least 10 years service in order to pay for any years you have missed. There was no limit of how many years you could buy.

I think it was you had to apply before June 2023 to pay for all the years up to 2022 and after this year you could only pay for I think 3 /5years max. You then pay either 6 monthly or yearly.
you first need to apply for a statement to see if it was worth paying for extra years.
I didn't realise there used to be a minimum period of 10 years of full service, before being able to buyback extra missing years. I have 8 years of full service as it stands. Is the 10 year rule that you refer to definitely gone? Thanks

Last edited:
I didn't realise there used to be a minimum period of 10 years of full service, before being able to buyback extra missing years. I have 8 years of full service as it stands. Is the 10 year rule that you refer to definitely gone? Thanks
I have to run but I will give you the information I have later today. You need 10years in order to get a british pension. I have the 10years. I bought a few years when I moved back a few years ago to bring me up to at least the 10. As I had the 10 I could buy back all the years up to 2022 but after 2022 I can only buy a handful of years. Explain later.

Back