Hit and Run Stolen Car

harmlessdonkey

Hi,

My car was parked outside the house and a stolen car crashed into it and drove off (neighbour witnessed it) the Gardai caught the drivers later that day. I have fully comprehensive insurance with Aviva, but want to avoid making a claim if possible. We have identified the car via neighbour and Gardai giving the reg plate, so I think I can claim via MIBI.

I contacted Aviva to tell them about it in case I do need to claim via them. They came back and said:

If the other car was not insured (it not as it was stolen) and the MIBI No Claims Protocol are met then I do not have to pay the policy excess and Aviva will reimburse me for the costs, then my No Claims will Not be affected. Where a claim is paid under a policy the settlement will affect future insurance contracts.

This has me confused totally. I understand if I claim on my insurance with No Claims Protection that my renewal price goes up but the Bonus is applied 50% NCB. However, I thought if I claimed via MIBI I wouldn't be claiming against my insurance and could avoid having to disclose I have made a claim on an insurance policy when looking for new insurance.

What's the point in using MIBI at all?

All insurers have an agreement with MIBI that if a policyholder with Comprehensive cover has their car damaged by an uninsured driver, then that insurer will deal with the own damage claim, WITHOUT affecting NCB. I understood that MIBI still had to pay the excess and any (reasonable) car hire whilst car is under repair, but I could be wrong on that.

Thanks Ravima. I suppose I'm trying to distinguish between claiming on my insurance without involving MIBI because I have NC protection and involving MIBI which also seems to protect my NCB also. I was hoping that if I claimed via MIBI exclusively my premiums wouldn't increase and I could keep my real no claims status allowing me to move to other insurers next year.

, I thought if I claimed via MIBI I wouldn't be claiming against my insurance and could avoid having to disclose I have made a claim on an insurance policy when looking for new insurance.
Retaining the NCB is one thing, but you still must disclose any claims.

Thanks Leo. I had thought that because I wasn't making a claim on my insurance with MIBI that I would be able to answer no but seems that's not how it works.

Not sure if pursuing the MIBI route does anything for me. I have fully comp with NCB protection so doesn't look like I gain anything from pursuing that.

Feels very frustrating to know my premium will go up because of these little f'ers.

EDIT:
Actually, I think policy excess is waived if I use MIBI instead of just my fully comp policy.

Back