Hiring Estate Agents - Tips? Costs? Experiences? How to...?

Chieftain

Hi there,

We are selling our Dublin house (North Inner City) and I am wonder does anyone have any tips for hiring/choosing estate agents?

We need to have the house sold by late August - what can I do to try and assure this deadline is met?

It's our first time selling so any advise or recommendations (based on experience) gladly received!

After our recent 'experiances' with this 'profession' :rolleyes: when buying - I want to be 'on the ball'.

Cheers.
C.

Re: Hiring Estate Agents - Tips? Costs? Experiances? How too?

Out here in the wild west .. it's hard to find one who won't charge you even if he doesn't sell. hey add on extras for ads, internet etc and still try and charge 2% ! . Try one that has a no sale no fee policy - or try and sell it yourself to start with. www.daft.ie allow free listings with picture (unless they have changed things recently) . You must have an idea of what it's worth - try it on daft.ie and then try an estate agent if nothing happens.

2% - holy mother of......

The profits must be good. If you pay for signs etc. all they do is turn up a few times & take a few calls.

I don't mind paying something even if no sale is made - people have to be paid for their time - but no way will I give 2%.

Any other tips? or expeirances?

I would also recommend Daft.ie. It's no longer free but still very competitive at one off cost of 95 euro and if you ask a reasonable price, you will sell. You are however, bound to have some calls from agents who will tell you that they will sell it for 5,000 euro more than you can get for it. Don't be put off by this though. Just arrange viewings on Saturday mornings, the peak viewing time for buyers and you won't even have to take time off work. What area is it in by the way?

irishlinks said:
and still try and charge 2% !

2% !!! Don't be mad paying anything like that. I think most charge 1%. Haggle with them for a better rate. I'm selling my house at the moment and am paying 0.7%

JohnnieKippe said:
2% !!! Don't be mad paying anything like that. I think most charge 1%. Haggle with them for a better rate. I'm selling my house at the moment and am paying 0.7%

Who are you using Johnnie? Is it in Dublin?

The house in Phibsboro just of NCR near the Mater.

Chieftain said:
Who are you using Johnnie? Is it in Dublin?

The house in Phibsboro just of NCR near the Mater.

I'm using Maher Gleeson in Terenure. This was a special rate I had to haggle for. They manage some properties for me so they wanted my business.

JohnnieKippe said:
I'm using Maher Gleeson in Terenure. This was a special rate I had to haggle for. They manage some properties for me so they wanted my business.

Thanks Johnnie, probably a bit far from phibsboro.

Anyone else have an tips?

2% - no way. Haggle for .75 or lower. I personally would go for one of the bigger EAs. Make a few enquiries about existing properties that they have and see how they handle those sales. They'll handle yours the same. In that area, there should be hot interest. If it's in good condition and around Glengariff Pde, Killarney Pde, Leo St could you PM me please! I'm on the lookout for my parents around there.

It's just off Glengariff Pde, on St.ignatius Road

I'm getting this ready to give to Estate Agents, so you can have a look at the house - photos here, I've yet to measure up etc.

[broken link removed]

Back