hire car in france

U

Unregistered

off to brittany soon and would welcome any advise about driving there. Will be hiring a car and wondering anything to be aware of? Ok I know to drive the other side of the road - anything else I should know!! Do all hire cars use diesel or could it be unleaded? Any idea of the cost of fuel compared to here? thanks

Any time we have hired a car (Megane/Peugot 307 type) we have been given a diesel (gazole) which is great. Fuel is a bit dearer than here as they dont have road tax in France. prices vary a lot - try not to buy at the moterway service stations but at the large super market s/stations as they are much cheaper. If you are staying in the Brittany region there are no tolls on the motorways.

I always use www.holidayautos.ie for car hire. They are basically a broker and you will end up getting a car from Hertz or Europcar etc - whatever the best rate happens to be. The biggest benefit as far as I am concerned, is that they offer damage excess protection - for about Eur2 a day you can cover yourself against the Eur400 or 500 excess in the event of a bash. So Europcar charge you the excess as usual and you then claim it back from holidayautos. I don't normally fall for extra protection schemes but glad I got it last year when I had a small bash. Little things can happen easily when you're not used to the terrain!

Great advise thanks on the cheaper diesel at supermakets and the damage cover. Will def try to get that to relieve the worry thanks folks!

There's no problem driving in France.
Excellent roads and well-signposted from what I saw anyway.

Only thing is to ensure that you know road-signs for driving through towns etc.

Hertz have an offer at the moment if you book 2 days rental you get a third free. Ideal for a long weekend. Think you have to reserve by 22nd inst.

Back