Other High value jewellerly insurance needed

• Thread starter Chilliflake
  • Start date
C

Chilliflake

Hi all,

I am in the unusual situation of seemingly being unable to insure a ring that I have. The ring has been valued at €59,500 (inheritance) but we just have regular home insurance for a two bed in Dublin with regular contents, ie around 40K I'd say, and of course no insurance company that I've spoken with will cover the ring. I just can't seem to find a way to insure it - even if I go for high value home insurance, it seems that our house has to be worth over 1 million - or am I wrong? Have no idea about insurance to be honest. Am paranoid that it will go missing so I have it in a safe, never to see the light of day.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

CF

If you have buildings and contents insurance, then will your current insurer not insure it under All Risks policy? Premium would be high and there probably would be certain warranties, such as alarm, safe and jewellers inspection on an annual basis.

Hi,

Our current insurer won't insure it. Max I could get it insured for was €16K as its value was too high a percentage of our home and contents insurance.

The only policy that I can think of that will cover this, is under a masterpiece policy (I know securus, www.securus.ie, offer this). It is designed for executive and stately homes but they may cover a more 'normal house'. The policy has an agreed cost basis, so you can agree the cost of the ring before anything happens to it. The policy maybe costly though.

www.powerinsurances.ie

I accept what OP is saying, but perhaps you are simply trying to get it insured as part of your CONTENTS rather than ALL RISKS.

Contents cover will cover the ring for the other perils under the CONTENTS policy - theft from house mainly as it is unlikely to be damaged by frost, fire or flood.

All Risks cover would cover it for loss or damage outside the house.

Back