High interest loan cleared, 3k/month savings - lump mortgage?

flashforward

Spouse’s/Partner's age:

Annual gross income from employment or profession:

€120,000 + 15,000 Bonus

Annual gross income spouse:

€59,000

Monthly take-home pay:

€8,200 approx (after pension contributions etc.)

Type of employment:

Private sector, Wife is Public

Expenditure pattern:

Childcare ~1200/month

Rough estimate of value of home

€460,000

Mortgage on home

~€230,000 remaining.
€1050 repayments/month. We are about 3.5years through a 10 year fixed rate @ ~ 3.05%. Overall 30 year term to be finished in 2048

Mortgage provider:

KBC
Type of mortgage:

Mortgage split 75% fixed, 25% variable. Principal 250k.

Interest rate:

From memory the fixed portion is 2.99% and variable ~3.1%

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc

None – just cleared a 35k CU loan.

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month?

No credit card

Savings and investments:

Do you have a pension scheme?

Yes, Company @ 8%, I contribute 8%

Do you own any investment or other property?

No

Ages of children:
2 and 3

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

After clearing the loan we are in a position to put >3k into savings each month.
If we were frugal this could be increased to 4k but there’s still work to do on the house so we’d likely direct that there when needed

We are considering moving house in approx. 8-9years time (before the kids hit secondary school) and looking to see if clearing the mortgage over this period makes sense or not?

Potential plan is to direct the 3k each month into the 25% variable portion of the mortgage and clear the 62.5k quickly.
The mortgage with KBC allowed 10% overpayment so I’d also plan to start this now on a monthly basis. (Am I right in saying this agreement carries over to BOI when they take the mortgage?)

From quick calculations this would leave me with a mortgage of 105k left in 2028, if we continue the saving pattern after clearing the 62.5k variable portion of the mortgage, we should have ~150k saved by 2028.

Side notes:
My bonus hasn’t been allowed in the above, its paid in a lump sum. I’d take this a holiday fund/house fund for the year or else put into the pension.
I looked into changing mortgage from KBC to avail of Avant's low rates but the break fee was significant >€20k so I’ve ruled this out.
My salary will rise over the next 5 years and cap @ 135->150k. I’ll direct all future payrises into increasing my pension contributions. There’s scope above to increase my contributions from 8% to 12% regardless and still save the 3k.

Should I be considering something else here?

If we were frugal this could be increased to 4k but there’s still work to do on the house so we’d likely direct that there when needed

Why would you be frugal? You are young. You have young kids. Don't go mad. But don't go living on soup sandwiches so that you can clear your mortgage a few years early.

Mortgage split 75% fixed, 25% variable. Mortgage remaining €230k

From memory the fixed portion is 2.99% and variable ~3.1%

I looked into changing mortgage from KBC to avail of Avant's low rates but the break fee was significant >€20k so I’ve ruled this out.

OK, let's look at the maths on this.

Your annual saving will be
€230k @ 1% (3% - 1.95%) or about €2,000 a year
You have 6.5 years left, so that is about €13,000

Right. The decision not to break is correct.

Are you sure about that break fee? Ask how it's calculated.

Paying 10% off your mortgage before you break, would bring the break fee down by 10%.

If you are stuck with KBC, then you should look at fixing the variable bit @2.45%

Make sure you are paying off the long term fixed rate with any overpayments.

We are considering moving house in approx. 8-9years time (before the kids hit secondary school) and looking to see if clearing the mortgage over this period makes sense or not?

Reducing the mortgage makes sense anyway. You will have much more equity in your home. You will have a lower break fee if you break early.

But don't set a target that it has to be zero in 9 years.

You should have enough cash to cover your planned expenditure.
But with two of you in well paid jobs, you don't need a cash fund, so use any cash left over from your planned expenditure to pay down your mortgage.

Brendan

When your plans to trade up get a bit closer - say about 3 years to go, you should review your strategy. It might make sense to stop overpaying the mortgage and build up cash for the deposit. But the start of this process is at least 5 years away, so don't worry about it until then.

Brendan

Brendan has covered the mortgage issues well but, on a separate issue, as a married couple with very young kids, do you both have appropriate life cover separate from the mortgage life insurance cover? Also, would there be any justification in reviewing and maybe increasing the pension contributions (yours and maybe AVCs for your spouse?)?

Back