Help writing my own reference

M

mo3art

Hi All,

I'm in the fortunate or unfortunate position (depends on how you look at it!) of having the opportunity to write my own references. I think my boss thought he was doing me a favour, but I'm drawing a blank. I don't want to make it sound too "gushy" but still want it to sound well.

Has anyone any tips or advice on how to write an excellent reference in general for starters? Oh and anything I should avoid.

Thanks in advance

Mo

How about here?

I'd also put in something definite that you've achieved in your current job that's also relevant to the new job. For example, if you're a technical guy who's going for a technical job with a supervisory role - can you provide an example where you did the supervisory thing. It could be something silly like organising the christmas party or supervising the cleaners while the boss was away on holidays. Maybe you were a keyholder? Be imaginative.

Thanks Sluice - food for thought there. Your input is much appreciated.

Mo

I always like the inclusion of some or all of the following lines:

"You would indeed be lucky to get Mozart to work for you"

"Mozart is an unqualified success".( tends to be used about part-qualified accountants)

I used to know lots of these to spice up a reference, but I can't recall them just now.

Brendan

Hi again,
Just thinking about this question again today. In America, references have become much more fact-based (ie he worked for 1yr52days and was late twice) because many new employers have sued the old employer over false claims in the reference.

If your boss is so nonchalant about your reference, write the most amazing reference and, if he signs it, get it framed!!

Back