help please please desks turned white

S

simms

Hi I need help with these desks I work in a library and as all the desks were covered in grafitti I thought I would use a grafitti spray on them but they turned white like bleach stains,these desks are a sort of a light honey colour and made of hard wood I think??? what can I do??The boss isnt too impressed but I did get her permission but how can I redeem myself from this disaster???Any advice would be greatful.

I imagine the desks were originally finished in a clear lacquer, the graffiti remover has presumably damaged the lacquer causing a white bloom? You could try one of those products ("Ringaway" being one) designed to remove scratches, ring stains, discolouration from french polished wood. Most large supermarkets/ hardware stores will stock these. Failing that (and completely at your own risk!) try this on an inconspicuous area first: But some car paintwork rubbing compound (like "T-Cut"), this is abrasive, rub some of this into the area very gently, it should remove the damaged lacquer surface. Don't overdo this or you'll strip right back to bare wood. When most of the damage is removed apply several coats of good quality wax polish and buff well. This should restore the desk to a presentable state. Let me know if this does the job.

:) :) :)

Thank you very much for the advice I will try both tomorrow,will let you know the results a.s.a.p. :( hope I still have my job.

sorry didnt get back to you as i found it very hard to get hold of the ring way liquid,anyway it didnt get rid of all of it but most of the white bloom is gone,however 4 new desks were delivered today so it will be back to square one,is there anything at all on the market that prevents ink pens and permenant markers getting into the wood?And something that will wipe away all the grafitti?THANKS for the tips,boss is well pleased.;) ;) :D

Back