help on correct salary

A

anthony.mock

hi lads.. need a little help...
have been workin in a convience store for 18 months.... the last 12 of them i have been a supervisor... where i was on an hourly rate... i have recently been givin a salary and been givin "trainee manager" status but my salary is now just under 18.5k for the year... could this be correct..???? need to know before i challenge it.....
any help appreciated.....
thanks

Why would it not be correct?

They can pay you whatever they want (as long as it's above minimum wage) so long as you agree to it.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your query...

yeah thats true but that is munimum wage just about when / by the long ass hours... just seems like im gettin shafted...

This is always a judgement call.

Some companies will give you a title and use that to assign more responsibilities to you and extract more work.

In other companies, there is a career path and the theory is short term pain for long term gain.

Only you can tell but you should, especially as a future manager, be able to go in and discuss this with the appropriate person. If you don't ask, you don't get and if you are making a committment to the company, they should be able to respond in some way.

Get your facts together, think about what you want and where you would compromise. Above all, its business, do not take it personally.

Its a difficult one.

As mentioned, if they give you a title then sometimes you may be expected to do extra hours as your job description states. Often managers in retailing work very long hours.

Of course, if you were to take your wage and divide it by the amount of hours you work each week, it might well work out that you are working for an hourly rate less than the minimum wage. Not sure how you stand legally if this is the case, as surely you can't be paid less than the min wage - but then again your official hours may not be be a true reflection on what hours you are actually working.

Perhaps you should agree a no. of hours per week with your boss, and work just these and not a minute more? After all, it is illegal to work more than a certain number of hours per week.

Back