Help, I'm being fleeced!

gerprem08

Ok, quick timeline & history.

I finished a contracting job on the 16th of January.
This job paid weekly in arrears (30 days).
So I am due three final payments on 5th, 12th & 19th of Feb.

But I started a new. permanent job on 28th of Jan.

I updated my job status on Revenue site and the annual income on my contracting job is listed €0.00.

I got my pay on 5th of Feb and I've been massively underpaid.

Will the payments on 12th and 19th be similarly underpaid/taxed heavily?

How do I get a refund?

Or can my new employer sort this out for me?

Regards
Ger

It will work itself out just ensure you are claiming the credits you are entitled to as an employee.

My old job was in the higher bracket but new job is in the lower bracket. I'd prefer a refund rather than have credits spread out over the year. Is this possible?

It should be possible once you receive P45 from old job. You give to new employer and they'll correct tax on cumulative basis.
The easiest is to confirm with someone in payroll in your new job - if you can work out who that is.

It should be possible once you receive P45 from old job. You give to new employer and they'll correct tax on cumulative basis.
The easiest is to confirm with someone in payroll in your new job - if you can work out who that is.

This doesn't happen any more with PAYE modernisation. Your old job will cease your employment on ROS and the "P45" info will go directly to Revenue. Your tax credits should then automatically default to your new job on an RPN and you should receive a tax refund in the next salary run.

Ah, so once the electronic 'p45' is updated, it'll get caught up in the next salary, without OP needing to do anything?

This doesn't happen any more with PAYE modernisation. Your old job will cease your employment on ROS and the "P45" info will go directly to Revenue. Your tax credits should then automatically default to your new job on an RPN and you should receive a tax refund in the next salary run.
That is what is supposed to happen but it does not always work that way. I have an employee that started working for me at the beginning of January this year. Two weeks ago she received her p45 from her previous employer but so far Revenue have not updated her details. She is paying more than 50% in emergency tax and of course she is not happy with the situation. Hopefully next week it will sorted for her.

That is what is supposed to happen but it does not always work that way. I have an employee that started working for me at the beginning of January this year. Two weeks ago she received her p45 from her previous employer but so far Revenue have not updated her details. She is paying more than 50% in emergency tax and of course she is not happy with the situation. Hopefully next week it will sorted for her.
Hopefully I will be sorted too! Over 50%!!!!

As th eP45 is from 2018, it is not required and is irrelevant to a job she is starting in 2018.
According to citizensinformation.ie , this is what should happen

"When you start your new job, your new employer will notify Revenue of your start date. This will create a new employment record for you and let your new employer access up-to-date tax credits and tax rate bands for you".

I started a new job in Jan, and I logged on to my account on revenue.ie and I entered my new employer and it was all sorted in days.
I would suggest that you advise her to do the same.

Back