Help! Car alarm problems

Gordanus

My car alarm has recently started acting up....but, wai for it, only at night. How can this be? From 10pm onwards, it'll start alarming every 10 minutes. I'm 'solving' this by leaving the alarm off at night, but am not happy about it. Could it be light? Damp? The car alarm people couldn't find anything wrong with it, and said that the sensors were turned down low. Anyone out there have any similar experience or know anything about this? Am getting desperate......(and so are the neighbours!)

Do you make sure when putting the alarm on that you have closed off all the air vents? The smallest amount of air flowing into the car can set it off.

have your battery checked....have heard of people before with alarms being triggered by low batterys...

A neighbour of mine had a similar problem and left the alarm off as well,but woke to find his car stolen.The Gardai reckon these guys were deliberately setting it off so that the owner will turn it off ....so beware.

Is it a Ford Mondeo???

Was happening to me frequently. As it turned out, it was a known regular problem with the Mk2 Mondeos.

Wires going behind the dash board which were wearing on the metal bodywork of the car were causing the lights to blow the fuse of the ECU while it was in motion.

The symptom while stationary was that it caused the alarm to go off all the time.

If it is a Mondeo, instead of turning it off, you could remove a fuse to ensure the horn doesn't go off - lights still flash, and immobiliser still works.

pennypincher said:
A neighbour of mine had a similar problem and left the alarm off as well,but woke to find his car stolen.The Gardai reckon these guys were deliberately setting it off so that the owner will turn it off ....so beware.

yeah, I had wondered about this, especially as I found out about it after a threatening note was left on the windscreen "Get it fixed or else!". But I don't often use the car during the day and it's fine, no alarm problems. And I haven't seen anyone on the straight road, other than dog-walkers and known neighbours when I went to switch it off. It's a Mitsubishi, about 9 years old, and there are a lot more desirable cars on the road (BMW, Range Rovers etc etc all of much more recent vintage!)

Back