Help, am i being conned by my solicitor?

I sold a house last year and the solicitor left it up to me to sort out the CGT, which is as far as I'm aware the correct way to do it. Depending on the date you sold the house, I think you may have up to nearly a year before the CGT deadline, and would be better off with the money in the bank for those months and waiting to pay the CGT at the last minute before the deadline.

And are you non-resident? Which is the relevant point in case you missed that bit.

Vanilla I am non resident sold a property in Ireland in the last 10 years and I got all the proceeds and paid my own CGT (the hardest cheque I ever wrote).

I've just discovered from my thread that my solicitor should not have given the money to me, but we have a long relationship so it's a bit different to the OP's situation. Still don't see why the solicitor can't hold back enough for the tax and pay out the rest in the meantime at a cost of 17 cent per cheque.

Last edited:
Depending on the date you sold the house, I think you may have up to nearly a year before the CGT deadline, and would be better off with the money in the bank for those months and waiting to pay the CGT at the last minute before the deadline.

CGT due date is dependent on the contract for sale. If it is dated between January and Septebmer CGT is due by 31st of October that year. If it is dated between October and December CGT is due by 31st of January the following your. So a maximum of 10 months of the money sitting in the account earning interest before you be-grudgingly give it over to the Revenue.

Vanilla I am non resident sold a property in Ireland in the last 10 years and I got all the proceeds and paid my own CGT (the hardest cheque I ever wrote).

I've just discovered from my thread that my solicitor should not have given the money to me, but we have a long relationship so it's a bit different to the OP's situation. Still don't see why the solicitor can't hold back enough for the tax and pay out the rest in the meantime at a cost of 17 cent per cheque.

Lucky solicitor that you were honest enough and paid your tax s/he could have been left to pick up the bill!

These discussions come up constantly on AAM and every single time a rash of posters descend to hang, draw and quarter the solicitor as soon as possible. Complete lack of knowledge of the facts, tax law etc is no impediment. Is there any chance that posters could calm down on the paranoia? There is now a common assumption that all solicitors are Michael Lynn. A little perspective would actually help the OP and others like him to get a proper answer without descending into conspiracy theories...

Back