heating system new build

C

craane

Hi,
i see from the site that the issue of insulation and heating is well covered. I'm looking to be steered in the right direction re same.

i plan on building a block bunglow 3000sq ft, pumped insulation in the cavity and insulated slabs/ dry lined on inside. i have a good hands on knowledge of building industry and can ensure quality workmanship for my build.

would anyone have suggestions for heating systems / insulation. any responce greatly appricated

I am currently building the base of a 2500 sq ft bungalow (as a contractor) and have spoken to the plumber about this as I plan to build my own house soon. We have put 150mm insulation in the floor, in 3 layers of 50mm each to overlap joints. The walls will be insulated with 60mm and the walls drylined inside.All insulation is high-density foil-backed, I used xtra-therm in the floor. I asked the plumber what he would put in his own house were he building afresh in the morning. He didn't hesitate in saying underfloor heating with solar panels and an oil condenser boiler. I'm not too well up on these things and find that the guys actually installing the systems are the best to ask. Seemingly the solar panels will heat the water to an average of 26 degrees and the boiler tops up after that. Its most expensive to heat water from 0 to 22 degrees so you're getting this done for free, having paid for the panels of course. In the house i'm currently working on, they're putting in a provision for an air/ground heat exchanger. That provision has already cost about 2 grand for the ducting alone so it'll be fairly expensive if they do decide to install it in future, I can't see it paying back. In relation to insulation, a friend completed a house recently with a high level of insulation. The windows are open more often than not to try to cool the house so his oil requirements are minimum. Spend the money on the insulation and it'll be more than half the battle.
Good luck.

thanks baldyman,
that all sounds good, was your plumber talking about using solar just for hot water or for under floor aswell ? is it possidle to have underfloor in living areas and rads in bedrooms.

Thanks baldyman a nice straight talking post and I definitely agree with you on the insulation. A friend of mine just moved in and we had the windows open during the move as it was so hot and we werent necessarily over exerting ourselves.
Craane yes you can zone your heating to have rads in some areas and underfloor elsewhere. I was looking at three zones underfloor downstairs, rads upstairs and domestic hot water as in the hot tank.

Craane, I think it's just the hot water though I'm open to correction on that.Will ask him the next time I see him.Alot ofpeople I've spoken to who have solar panels say that they just use it for the hot water and that they're delighted with it. IMHO panels and condenser boiler seems the best value options. A lot of the other stuff is very expensive and while your annual bills may be small as a result what you actually pay for the hardware will never be recouped. I may put in a provision for a solid wood boiler which will just be a duct, then again I have a few acres that i can use to grow my own firewood should the world ever come to that so in effect I wouldn't have fuel bills. Even so, will be using oil until such time as that need really arises. Too much work in being a woodsman!

Back