Heating system header tank disconnected - bad idea?

chippengael

Hi all,

We had a new high efficiency boiler installed over a year ago and availed of the grant from SEI. While the boiler works fine, the installer told me that during the course of the work he disconnected the header tank which supplies water pressure to the radiator system. He said this was 'better'. Instead, the system can now be directly connected to the incoming cold supply to the house ...when necessary. In practise, this means connecting a fiddly, short extra hose between the supply and the boiler when the rads need to be bled.

However, I find it impossible to fully bleed the uppermost radiator in the house using this method for reasons I don't fully understand. Also we appear to have frequent airlocks in the cold water system to the bathrooms. When the installer came back to service the boiler, he too could not fully bleed the radiator but was gone before I could pin him down on the problem.

I'm suspicious that disconnecting the header tank has caused this problem. Can anyone throw any light on this issue and perhaps offer an opinion on whether this needs to be reversed?

C.

Your bathroom issue is a separate issue.
Heating systems work far better being pressurised rather than fed from a header tank. You may have a leak or a weap somewhere that is causing your system requiring bleeding or there is a lot of electrolysis going on within the system causing hydrogen. This can beis taken for air.
I wonder was your old system a semi-sealed system & now fully sealed. Your mains pressure might also be too low.

You would require some investigative work.

Back