Health Insurance Health insurance in a nursing home

Shelby219

My mother (in her 90s) is a full time resident in a private nursing home, does she still need her VHI? It's costing her 148.50 every 2 weeks, deducted from her HSE pension?

I think there might still be some benefits with private insurance, e.g. if needed say cataract surgery the public waiting list is very long.
But it sounds like she is on a very expensive plan?
I think there are plans around for circa €1300 - €1500 which would cover most requirements.

Just checked, and she is on VHI Health Plus Premium, in a South Eastern Health Board group scheme
That's €3860 a year premium which is a crazy price. You should be able to get private hospital cover including cover at Beacon, Mater Private for half that.
I'm not familiar with VHI plans and your mother would probably have a preference to stay with them.

There was a previous post on alternatives to that particular plan - some of the info is now a little out of date but it should give you an idea of what to be looking for

If your mother can afford it, I would keep the health insurance; you may be able to get better value, but I wouldn't drop it completely.

And the nurse manager will tell you that it's not required.

Before you make a final decision, take a trip to A&E with an elderly relative; because that is where she will be sent by Nursing Home even for non-emergency procedures.

Health insurance great for planned procedures or non urgent but at that age anything that crops up is likely to mean an ambulance and that goes straight to public hospital A&E so health insurance unlikely to be of much use.

Having said that I would keep it but change to a much cheaper plan, that's mad money really. My father made no use of his health insurance in his final couple of years as everything was an ambulance trip at that stage so straight to public hospital. Nevertheless we kept it just in case, of what I don't know! But it was costing way less than that, he was not in a nursing home though.

We deliberately changed though to semi private a few years previously as even though he wanted a private room in theory it proved on the few times he had one to be to his disadvantage, he fell out of the bed once, couldn't reach the button, ringing the button and no one coming etc at other times. At least when there was someone else in the room with him it was a back up should help be needed and sure enough when he did become ill again in his room it was the other patient that managed to call for assistance.

I can't help wondering why the OP hasn't informed us as to what his mother's preference is. But perhaps her opinion doesn't matter!

I can't help wondering why the OP hasn't informed us as to what his mother's preference is. But perhaps her opinion doesn't matter!
Of course her opinion matters, I just don't see why her money should be spent on a plan if there is one the same at a better price, are we not always being told not to keep the same plan year after year!

Of course her opinion matters, I just don't see why her money should be spent on a plan if there is one the same at a better price, are we not always being told not to keep the same plan year after year!

And is she of the same opinion?

Back