Health Insurance Health Insurance for Medical Card Holders

djtonykirl

Hello,

Both of my parents have recently qualified for full Medical Cards. They are both currently insured on VHI Company Plan Plus Select. Bearing in mind that they have medical cards and are on quite an old policy, I have the following questions which I would be grateful for your input on please:

1) Given what a medical card covers, what types/areas of health insurance cover are less relevant when considering a switch in policy? I have been working on the assumption that it is primarily day/day expenses. I am not sure what if any areas of hospital cover may not be needed.

2) Does anyone have examples of policies which dovetail well with a Medical Card?

3) Is there an easy way to determine what policies provide the same or great level of cover than Company Plan Plus Select?

Regards and thanks in advance,
Tony.

Hi djtonykirl,

Welcome to AAM. The medical card fully covers gp visits and re prescriptions you just pay the 2 euro per item nominal charge.
Re hospital cover, the medical card would cover the 80 euro charge per night in a public hospital plus the 100 euro A + E charge- if they went in as a public patient and didn't use their health insurance.
The medical card also covers a stay in a convalescence home following surgery, if required.
Through the district nurse/occupational therapist in the local health clinic, there is also a range of equipment available which is fully covered by the
medical card if required. These are just some areas covered by the medical card.

Regarding health insurance cover, while their current plan 'Company Plan Plus Select' is a good plan that ticks all the boxes, there are a couple
of newer plans with similar cover at lower prices. While day to day cover is not totally necessary with a medical card, it is handy for claiming
back a partial refund for consultant visits etc.

Details as follows;
1. VHI PMI 44 16; Price 1112pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 per admission or day case.
There is limited day to day cover on this plan. 80% orthopaedic cover on this plan. Extra cover for a private room in a private hospital included.

2. VHI PMI 43 16; Price 1171pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 per admission - 50 per
day case. Good day to day cover included on this plan, 60 refund per consultant visit, etc.

3. Laya Simplicity; price 1191pa; all public, private(including private room covered), and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess
max 100 x 2 per year, day case excess 50 per visit. Day to day cover included - the first 100 not allowed.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Hi Snowyb,

Thanks for your very comprehensive response. One final question for you on this:

Are there any policies at a similar level which fully cover all consultant fees?

Regards and thanks,
Tony.

djtonykirl,

There is no plan that fully covers all consultant fees. The max refund available is 130 per visit or 75% of each visit.
Details of plans as follows;
[broken link removed]

NOTE; VHI impose a 26 week wait for upgraded day to day cover for people over 65 yrs.
Laya have no waiting for this cover regardless of age.

Regards, Snowyb

Back