Health insurance for a toddler.

qwerty5

Myself, my missus and my daughter (2 years old) have a Simply Connect plan with Laya. For my daughter we get the free GP visits so that portion of the plan is useless to us.

I was wondering if we should keep the Simply Connect for the two adults and get a cheaper plan that covers hospital stays or serious illness (if it should occur).

It's €275 for our daughter for the year.
It's not a huge amount but it feels like money for nothing.

I paid for it for my two and when we had to avail of hospital care it made no difference I could discern

There will be no difference unless you need something that has a waiting list for public like grommets or adenoids or whatever. My grandson just had both these done privately within a couple of months of first appointment, well worth the couple of hundred to vhi.

For emergency treatment there will be no difference, you will be seen immediately but it's the non emergency stuff that you need it for but of course that's a matter of choice and attitude to risk.

qwerty5,

The following VHI plans are half price for children at the moment and well worth considering;

1. One Plan 150; price 122pa; all public and private + some Beacon hospital covered, private hospital excess 150 x 2 max for all admissions
and day case procedures. No excess to pay in any public hospital.

2. One + Plan; price 139pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech hospital excess 125 per admission or day case
procedure. No excess in any public hospital.
Note; the 3 hi-tech hospitals - Blackrock Clinic, Mater Private and Beacon hospital - all have paediatric wards and offer surgery for children from
3 years which is something to keep in mind when choosing a plan.

3. One Plan Complete; price 157pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, no excess to pay on this plan for all admissions or day
case procedures. There is day to day cover on this plan, but the first 100 is not allowed.

[broken link removed]

Children can be insured on their own with VHI, an adult is just named on the policy but only the child is insured.

Regards, Snowyb

Back