Health Insurance Health Insurance for 90yr old

Nicko

Hi, My grand aunts health insurance is due for renewal in a few weeks. She has been with the VHI for decades and pays it automatically every year. She will be 91 at the end of this year. Her health generally has been very good, However last year when she did have to go to UCHG for treatment, after spending 12 hours on a trolley she was then put into a public ward as that was the only bed available. We asked for a private or semi private room as we thought her private cover would entitle her to this, but the staff kindly told us, that she would have to take whats available, which was a bed in the public ward, where she stayed for 2 weeks.
My question is, is it worth paying a hefty private health insurance fee for a person of this age, when you are just going to get treated the same as if you paid nothing at all? And if there is an emergency in the future, isnt she going to get emergency treatment if she has VHI cover or not?
Nicko

Hi Nicko,

I understand your questioning of the point of health insurance for a 91 year old, and I would recommend reviewing her cover. I don't think I would
cancel it altogether but I would look at alternative options. That's just my own personal opinion. What plan is she on at the moment and what is her renewal date?

Its true that if there is an emergency in the future, she will get emergency treatment with or without VHI cover. Was her two week stay in UCHG
charged up to VHI - ie did she receive a statement from VHI relating to that stay, showing a breakdown of costs? Or was she admitted as a public
patient covered under the medical card?

Regarding the public hospitals, there are very few private and semi-private rooms to start with. The chances of getting one really is the luck of the draw. Its nearly considered lucky to get admitted to 'any bed' full stop, the way things are going, even at 91 years. The few private rooms available are usually kept or used for terminally ill public or private patients, which is understandable.

Health insurance is handy if a procedure or surgery is required, for example, a cataract operation, in a private hospital. Waiting lists for this type
of procedure is 2 years in the public system. In saying that, at 91, major surgery would probably be a last resort, depending on the circumstances and risks involved.

I'm not sure if her VHI played a part in her being admitted to UCHG, sometimes it can carry weight in securing a bed, as it saves money from the public hospitals budget. But a person does not have to sign the form for VHI, unless they get a semi-private or private room, everyone is entitled to a bed in a public ward. Getting back to your question, health insurance is an extra support to lean on for services such as scans, minor procedures, surgery etc. Personally I think I'd prefer to have it for an elderly relative than not but you would know best for your grand aunt.

Regards, Snowyb

Hi Snowyb
Thanks for your answer, I know the renewal date is towards the end of December.
I will get back to you about the other questions in relation to her hospital stay.
Nicko

Back