VHI Health insurance due for renewal?

Tebbit

I am on teachers plan which is due for renewal soon so I need to start looking now. I'm looking for something with no excess and good cover as I've a serious chronic illness. No excess is very important to me as if I became unwell I might have quite a few admissions. I might also like to increase day to day cover if it doesn't cost too much. I don't really want to spend too much more on it. Ideally I'd like to stay with VHI. As I've always been with them. I am over 50 any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Tebbit,

A very good alternative option is the new plan VHI PMI 01 10; price 1588pa;

VHI PMI 01 10; price 1588; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, no excess, good day to day cover included.

or

VHI 38 14; price 1667pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, no excess, very good day to day cover included.
130 refund per consultant visit.

[broken link removed]

Snowyb

Thanks for that
I'm thinking of PMI 01 10 it looks like a good plan and pretty much the same - at least I can't see that I'd be minus anything???

It has better outpatient benefits with 35 EURO by 12 GP VISITS - as I didn't have this before would there be a waiting tme?

Also just wondering what's the difference - for Private Hospital private room 01 10 is covered but 50 euro excess per night and teachers plan says semi private rate - what does this mean? the semi private rate for a private room on the teachers plan?

thanks again

Tebbit,

Yes, PMI 01 10 is much better value for money with extra day to day outpatient benefits, not included on Teachers plan.
You do not lose any cover by switching plans. There are extras on the new plan.
As you are over fifty, there will be a 26week (6 months) waiting time until the outpatient benefits are allowed.

The semi-private rate for a private room in a private hospital means that there would be a shortfall for a private room.
This shortfall amount per night could be 200-300 depending on the private hospital in question.
So the 50 excess per night is a big saving, if a private room is required.
This only applies to private hospitals, it does not apply to any public hospital. A private room is fully covered in all public hospitals on these plans.

Note; this reduction to 50 per night for a private room is classed as an ungrade in hospital cover, so for your pre-existing illness there will be a
2 year waiting time applied just to this part of the cover. You will continue to have semi-private rate for a private room in a private hospital as before on Teachers plan while waiting.

Snowyb

Back