HD DVD vs Blu Ray

For other users of AAM - you can actually get modified blu-ray players here - www.stegan.com or you can buy the kit and DIY, but you should look at the caveats before attempting the fix yourself. Makes the players region free hence you can buy cheaper blu-ray discs from the USA for example, and all legal.

Hi, can you repost the URL - the above doesn't work.

rmelly,

What you think on that site ? reckon the Panasonic BD 30 chipped is the one ?

He gives a year warranty so....

Same technology on both.
The only reason I would go for the stand alone is that you get a proper remote control whereas the PS3 is controlled by the joypad - wireless but fiddlier than a remote control if you're not used to it.
If you want to play games and watch blu - ray then in my opinion the PS3 is the one to go for.
One thing to note, there are posters here who have had problems with the PS3 after 12 months of use so maybe the standalone will last longer if you just want to watch movies?

You can get a proper remote for the PS3 as well. The PS3 is the best value Blu Ray out there at the moment. Personally I think the cost of the stand alone players at the moment is still too expensive even though I haven't looked recently so could be wrong. How much does a stand alone cost these days?

Same technology on both.
The only reason I would go for the stand alone is that you get a proper remote control whereas the PS3 is controlled by the joypad - wireless but fiddlier than a remote control if you're not used to it.
If you want to play games and watch blu - ray then in my opinion the PS3 is the one to go for.
One thing to note, there are posters here who have had problems with the PS3 after 12 months of use so maybe the standalone will last longer if you just want to watch movies?

The only reason I am considering the PS3 is that the sprogs have a load of PS2 games, some of which I believe will play on a 60GB PS3 (not on a 40GB). I do not want to fork out for 2 seperate units. I am hoping that the build quality of the PS3 improves as more are manufactured.

Back