Haydens Park, Lucan

Techie

Hi Everyone!

Does any of you live in and around Haydens Park, Griffeen Valley, Lucan? We have recently viewed a 4 bed house in that area and really liked it. I have children 7yr(will be going to class 3 in Sep2020) and 2yr, looking to put them in Griffeen Valley Educate Together National School and the Giraffee creche near by.

We both work in city so the plan is to drop kids to the creche near to school around 8 am by car, park the car in Adamstown station and take the train to city. As we have never lived in this area, mostly relying on the google maps, Not sure how long it is going to take us during the peak hours to drop kids and board train, though the google map says it only takes 15 mins!

Also any idea how easy it is to get a place in the school and creche? we have not requested a place from the school/creche yet. Can any of you live here, give some information about the area, surroundings and also about the school please?

Really appreciate any information you may have as it would have an impact on our decision to buy the house.

Many thanks!
Techie

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the school or créche in that area but Lucan is a nice place to live.

Traffic towards and around that school and onwards to Adamstown will normally be pretty heavy/slow from before 8 to around 9, additionally I wouldn't be sure you would get a parking space in that station at that time.

There is a new station Kishogue which is hopefully coming onstream at some stage this year which should help in the shorter term, though Kishogue itself will be a new town so potentially in the mid-longer term add to the heavy traffic in the area at commuting times.

I would ring both the school for mid-stream admission policies (this school is part of the common access process for a-lot of the Educate together schools in the area), and creche to check availability (alot of the creches locally will likely be full, though there are quite a few around).
Also by dropping your 7yo to the school itself they may not be able to accept that early, and you may need to pay for pre-school/post-school care too.

I agree with Paid, generally the area is nice, growing and developing, it is a long way from Haydens estates to the village itself. There is a quite active local parents group on facebook (Lucan Parents) so you will get a good feel for what goes on if you take a look there.

Hi rgfuller,

Thanks for your time in replying! Great to know the area is nice and safe.

I once had a quick drive through from the newcastle road until the train station around 8am just before the pandemic has started in here (first week of May), Seems traffix wasn't bad and i could reach the station with in 5 mins, Maybe that was one quite day!. The car park just opposite to the station was filled out already(Nearly 20 to 30 cars) but the big open car park just after the station was totally free, Out of 260 car park, only 10 were filled out around 8.15am. Wondering is that the case always?

I agree that school and creche are likely to be full, I will have to send an email to the school and creche asking for the availability. My son will be attending pre-school/post-school care and daughter on full time creche.

Back