Have saorview on Arial but no signal on freeview

Byrnech

I’m in an area which recieves uk tv on an outdoor Ariel. I have the Irish channels perfectly but no signals on the uk freeview service . I’ve changed direction of the Ariel . As far as I can ascertain I’m pointed at the division transmitter . What am I doing wrong ? Any help
Please

Hi,

I think you may need two different boxes, even if you are in an area that can receive both Saoirview and Freeview Terrestrial signals.

Saorview uses DVB-T, whilst Freeview HD uses DVB-T2, as I understand it. I don't think the Saoirview boxes are built to receive the UK code format - or at least they weren't, in the early days. That's why people started getting combo boxes with a satellite tuner and Saoirview tuner combined, for picking up the free to air UK channels. They do need a satellite dish, not just a Terrestrial antenna though.

Perhaps things have moved on now though....

Last edited:
They do need a satellite dish, not just a Terrestrial antenna though.
Only if they want 'FreeSat' as opposed to 'FreeView' ( as the OP wants) is a dish required.

Saorview in it's entirety is not on Freeview, just RTE1,2 and TG4, and even then they are 'muxed' (multiplexed).

As the OP has not told us what equipment (STB) he is using it is nigh on impossible to offer pertinent advice.
In the early day of Saorview most 'off the shelf' UK Freeview boxes would not decode the video (but would audio) signal of Saorview, however most
available now will.

I’m in an area which recieves uk tv on an outdoor Ariel. I have the Irish channels perfectly but no signals on the uk freeview service . I’ve changed direction of the Ariel . As far as I can ascertain I’m pointed at the division transmitter . What am I doing wrong ? Any help
Please
You’re probably better off getting in touch with a local TV company and ask them to set it up for you. There are so many variables, it’s quite difficult to get right for the average person without a lot of research and testing.

It’s definitely still possible though, even from South Dublin

Back