Have had to change credit card, but will the payments still be accepted?

witchymand

Hi,
I have paid a couple of hundred into my credit card online yesterday. However today a friend owed me money too so I went to the bank to pay it into my credit card, but the girl in the bank said there was a problem with my credit card. To be honest I have experience lots of problems everytime I go into a bank with the credit card and try to lodge money into it. Anyway to cut a long story short the girl in the bank cut up my credit card in front of me and said they would issue a new one, with a new number.
I am now wondering if the money I paid into that number last night online and the money I actually paid into it today will be credited to the new card?
Thanks

If they are simply issuing a new card but on the existing account then I would assume that you are OK. Did you ask the girl in the bank this question?

Yes I did ask the girl in the bank but her response was 'Ah I am sure the money will come off the new card', to be honest she didn't display 100% confidence in that it would definetly come off the new number.

Witchymand,

Would suggest the following course of action:-

a) obtain new card (check to see if no is different from existing one), if same, no problem, if different see below

b) contact Credit Card Co. direct, advise re lodgement and no. you lodged to (get name of whom you speak with), ideally get him/her to advise of status of lodgement, if not get a committment that they will contact you within 24 hours to ensure same is lodged to new no.

c) finally, make sure you amend your online records (i.e. new credit card no.), if you don't, any lodgement potentially goes astray.

A word of caution:

I closed 2 BoI CC accounts over 18 months ago and transferred the balance to another BoI account. While I was in the process of doing this, I received my normal monthly bill, which I paid by cheque.

The following month I got a cc bill for my new account. It was quite high, and it took me a number of months to clear the balance, incurring interest along the way. I didn't think this was especially unusual, as I had been making quite a number of purchases, including many work related travel etc.

Roll forward to 2 months ago. I was expecting a stinker of a cc bill after January sales, trip to Toulouse, booking summer holiday etc., but when it came I was pleasantly surprised. There was a credit of nearly €700 on the bill (separate from the monthly payment I had made) that was referenced 'balance transfer'.

I was mystified, as I had not made any balance transfers (other than 12 months ago, and this would have been a debit anyway), and was sure that it was an error on the part of the cc company.

I called BoI CC, and explained. The girl said 'oh that's a balance transfer, yoyu must have closed another account' It took me a while to convince her that:

(a) I had not closed another account recently (I assured her that I would remember if I had ;) ) and
(b) A balance transfer from another account should not be a credit (in general)

She went off to investigate and called me back 20 minutes later.

It turns out that the cheque I had sent in the previous April was not allocated to my 'old' credit card(s) as the account was closed when they received the cheque.

It had taken BoI a full 12 months to allocate this payment to my new credit card. During that time, I had a uncleared debit balance for a number of months the previous summer because of this fact (Of course I should have known this from my bill, but it wasn't very clear at the time, as it appeared to me that the payment had been allocated, but there was still a large balance)

The girl told me 'not to worry, this happens all the time' implying that I WAS THE ONE WHO SHOULD APOLOGISE TO THEM!!!!!

I held my tongue (should I go back and demand a refund of the interest paid during the period in question??). I am now in the process of closing that account and moving to another cc company. Feck them.

Sorry for the long post-just wanted to make sure I laid out all the facts. I know this situtation isn't the same as the original poster's, but there are enough similarities.

Go back and demand a refund of the interest. You seem to have been charged interest in error, and I would feel that since the bank was at fault they should reimburse you.

Wrote a letter of complaint 2 weeks ago, mentioned that I would go to IFSRA if I didn't get satisfaction from BoI, and hey presto-all interest charged in the period was refunded! Still closed the account though:).

Back