Have building survey booked, should I book valuer now or wait?

dubdub123

My solicitor received contracts for purchase and ive booked engineer, but it will be around mid September when survey completed.

Valuation for lender will also need to be done, and it will be at least a week turnaround but could be much longer.

Should I book valuation now or wait til survey completed?

House in Dublin, and mortgage through Avant. Thanks

Hi there. Congrats. We are in the same position and going to wait to request the valuation until we are a little closer to signing contracts (our solicitor has yet to receive contracts from the vendors solicitor). According to what I've read the valuation only lasts a few weeks (can't remember the exact number of weeks apologies) so if it expires before drawdown you need to get it redone. In my opinion there's nothing wrong with getting the valuation done before or after the survey- it's just down to your preference.

Hi there. Congrats. We are in the same position and going to wait to request the valuation until we are a little closer to signing contracts (our solicitor has yet to receive contracts from the vendors solicitor). According to what I've read the valuation only lasts a few weeks (can't remember the exact number of weeks apologies) so if it expires before drawdown you need to get it redone. In my opinion there's nothing wrong with getting the valuation done before or after the survey- it's just down to your preference.
Ok great, good point about how long valuation lasts. My solicitor has the contracts now and will go back with any points, but waiting for survey first.

Hi, Survey has now been scheduled as contracts received by my solicitor.
Unless some major structural issue, i will be moving ahead with purchase.
Would it make sense to try book valuation now as could be waiting a while? Mortgage with avant and sellers are keen to close as they've gone sale agreed.

I would wait until you at least get verbal feedback from your surveyor indicating whether there are any major problems. You can then wait for their written report while you proceed with a valuation

If you are going with Avant then go back to the mortgage broker and ask them what the procedure is. They should be guiding you through the process and be able to tell you how long Avant will accept a valuation for. They should also be able to recommend a EA from Avant's approved list that can do it for you in a few days so it shouldn't really delay things for you

Back