Have 40 years D rate prsi should i try gain A rate

It’s basically you go in A RATE , in employment outside the public service - you pay A rate and are credited for A when not working - I think that’s right - does A credit count same as A credit for pro rota pension

An A credit is an A credit so it counts! But your key issue is to get to the 260 PAID Class A contributions; only then will any A credits be useful to you in calculating your pension.

Last edited:
An A credit is an A credit so it counts! But your key issue is to get to the 260 PAID Class A contributions - only then will the A credits be relevant.
oh super , illkeep signing on for A CREDITS SO-
If you take up work immediately after retirement, at least 1 year of your class D contributions will be reclassified as A and will be reckonable for state pension.. This was mentioned at my pre-retirement course - I'll try to find a link.

Edit to add link. https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/9...s-following-class-b-c-or-d-or-mixed-insurance
See paragraph on change of status credits.

If you qualify for treatment benefit (optical and dental) at age 66, you will retain qualification for life (under current rules).
That might be worth as much as any actual pension.
i was on to SW re this - they dont know anything about at least one years of your D , will be re classed as A !!!!! YOU GET A credits if your paying A stamps - change of status means going from D to A , when your out of civil service , if im wrong i would love to know ill get back to SW

Perhaps its time to get a statement of prsi . Check for Pre-entry credits, Student credits (if applicable) and change of status credits.
If you have any Class A credits before your PS job this will have an effect on your rate of pension.
In my own case my PS records could not be found so my pension was based on Assumption that I paid class D (or WOPS) as they were known back then

Back