Has Smart Telecom gone down?

Smart is not going bust.

Is this statement made with some perspective that we should know about? I'm not being smart :rolleyes: but it's a first post and has a ring of vested interest about it.

My own interest is simple: I'm about to order in a phone line and broadband and can't decide if I should include Smart in my list of potential runners and riders (and a pretty disheartening list it is too, having read the experiences of people with just about every ISP).

Edited to duly note the irony of the above criticism coming from someone with barely more than a handful posts!

Good news, we received a flyer in the post yesterday from the management company of the apartment complex. If you're on Smart Vision like I am (with the TV package) then you don't have to switch providers, actually you still can't switch providers... looks like they still have their claws into us and again we have no choice but to stick with Smart! Hmmm... I'm begining to wonder about my so-called good news!

aI am confuddled!!! Smart phone service is not likely to be available - but Broadband will be. What exactly does this mean.

In order to avail of Smart Brodband, customers were obliged to avail of their 'phone + broadband combined offer'.

Does it mean that the service will be discontinued for 'Smart telephone customers only', and phone service will continue to be available to Smart Broadband customers.

Smart Telecom is to reduce its headcount by a further 70 to 100 staff as it prepares to delist from the stock exchange and become a private company controlled by businessman Brendan Murtagh. It is expected that the jobs will be lost over the next few months. Smart has set 31 October as the date for shareholders to approve the delisting from London's AIM market.

Does anyone know what happens to ordinary shareholders who were left owning / still own shares in Smart? I got the vast majority of mine sold in time but left a small quanity behind which still have a value all be it small?

aI am confuddled!!! Smart phone service is not likely to be available - but Broadband will be. What exactly does this mean.

In order to avail of Smart Brodband, customers were obliged to avail of their 'phone + broadband combined offer'.

Does it mean that the service will be discontinued for 'Smart telephone customers only', and phone service will continue to be available to Smart Broadband customers.

Yes - that is entirely correct, as far as I understand it. Voice is always available on a DSL line (as it's standard copper cable)... The Voice-only customers will have to switch - either to Voice+BB or another Voice provider.

If you are a Voice-Only customer, in order to switch, you will need to know your UAN - you can access this through the Comreg site:-
[broken link removed]

I have to-day received the following e-mail from Comreg:-

"Thank you for your email, and apologies for the delay in coming back to you at this busy time.

Because the ongoing difficulties between eircom and Smart were of a contractual and commercial nature, ComReg legally could not have made any comment in advance of the recent cessation of service. It is widely known and has been reported in the press that Smart broke their contract with eircom on 19 separate occasions, and owed approximately ˆ4m to eircom. It was because of this debt issue that eircom withdrew service to Smart and its customer. Eircom had previously made numerous threats to withdraw service but none were actioned until last Monday. ComReg were an invidious position as a result.

ComReg on Tuesday 3rd brokered a deal that enabled a basic telephone service to be returned to most of the affected customers within three days and since then has been engaged in discussions with all parties to try and remedy the situation. We are keen to ensure that all consumers who experienced difficulties have their services returned as quickly as possible.

In terms of your next move as a Smart customer, that depends greatly on what type of service you had with Smart.

If your service was the CPS variety – calls only, with line rental paid directly to eircom – there would have been no disruption to incoming calls. Customers can enter the prefix 13666 before the number they wish to dial to ensure their call is trafficked with Eircom. Consumers as a matter of urgency are advised to source an alternative service provider. To do this consumers will need their Eircom Account Number to make this switch and should not delay in doing this. Again, for a list of service providers see www.askcomreg.ie and to compare and contrast prices based on your usage profile, see www.callcosts.ie

If your service was of the WLR type – calls and line rental with Smart – you should still be able to receive incoming calls and make emergency calls. Basic service should by now have been restored, allowing you to make local, national and 1800, 1850, 1890 calls. You should not delay in finding an alternative service provider. Again, for a list of service providers see www.askcomreg.ie; to compare and contrast prices based on your usage profile, see www.callcosts.ie.To make the switch, contact your chosen service provider with your UAN (Universal Account Number) which can be found on your last Smart bill. It is an 8-digit number that either begins with a -4- or a -5-. If you do not have your UAN, it can be retrieved from www.askcomreg.ie or by calling ComReg on 1890 229 668.

If you are a voice and broadband (LLU) customer of Smart, you may have lost service. If so, you are advised to place an order for similar services with a new provider and sign a new contract with that provider. If you still have your services, refrain from taking any action for the moment – we believe further updates will be coming through the press in the next few days.

In terms of legal implications, ComReg understands that WLR customers who switch to another service provider will not be in breach of their contract. This is also true of LLU customers who have lost service. However, if you are an LLU customer that has not lost service, and you intend switching to an alternative service provider, you’re advised to check the terms and conditions of your existing Smart contract and seek legal advice as you have may have contractual obligations to Smart.

In terms of any queries relating specifically to your account, the best thing to do is to contact Smart directly (their Customer Service line is now back up and running) on Freephone 1800 931 300.

I hope this helps to clear up some of the issues you have raised.

Best regards,

Laura Canning
Commission for Communications Regulation"

Got a card today from eircom saying that broadband will cost 29.99 per month rather than the 39.99 it was......

Back