Has anyone heard of door to door charity collectors wearing OHRI vests?

sandrat

the other half just closed the door on what seemed like charity collectors wearing OHRI vests. Anyone heard of them?

Re: Has anyone heard of OHRI?

Ottawa Health Research Institute (OHRI) is an Affiliated Research Institute of the University of Ottawa and the research arm of The Ottawa Hospital

Stem Cell Research

?!?!?!

Thats all I can find!!

Re: Has anyone heard of OHRI?

hmmm sounds like a scam so
just saw them again and the o looks like it has a heart inside it

I went and asked one of them and they are apparently the heart research institute, which she told me was an american based oh no wait australian based charity, sorry i've only been in the job two days. But that they collect in Ireland too because if they discover something in Australia then sure wont irish people benefit from it some time too. is the website, I can't find a charity registered number and only a free phone number and an address that looks like a call centre. I asked her did she have a charity registered number and she said no. Also the only literature she had was 1 single laminated page that was shared between the 3 people that were going around.

Update: I just emailed both email addresses on their website and both of them bounced back and their freephone number has a message saying "thank you for calling support direct"

Hmmmmm. Iffy to say the least. They should be given the door.

... seemed like charity collectors wearing OHRI vests...
Would it be fair to say that the vests are like the banner on the web-site - a stylised heart in a circle with HRI after it, rather than OHRI?

The web-site with the Irish contact details, also contains the following "Every pound brings us one step closer to winning the battle against heart disease forever. Support of The Heart Research Institute (UK) gives hope to the millions who will otherwise be affected by the Killer."

and

"each year The Heart Research Institute needs to raise over £3 million to speed up the research "

... They should be given the door.
They should be given nothing!

yeah it looked like ohri at a glance but is actually heart hri and they were actually sweatshirts rather than vests- husband not very observant when running people from the door

they are now collecting in the dun laoghaire and cabinteely areas!
No Irish Registered charity it seems

Just had a very charming young man from this so called organisation call at 4pm this afternoon. Beaumont area.
As I don't subscribe to anyone collecting at my door I told him so. He still continued to tell me how important it was. I asked him what part of No did he not understand and I closed the door.
Had I known it was a scam I might have quizzed him a bit more for a bit of fun at his expense and made a 999 call.

In the last few months I have two charities calling to my door looking for bank account details.

I told them to get lost!

I rarely open me door it was the mothers doing.

I've also have stopped giving money to charities that send it out to Africa as it's only making the situation out their worse.

Luckily I have never had these kind of callers, I think I am too far out of town.

Another benefit for countryside living!!

So that's who they are. They called to my door in Tipperary two months ago. Very arrogant guy knocked on my door and starts with 'have you ever been affected by heart disease' This trained tactic annoys me but I allowed him to carry on. They carry out heart research, but he never mentioned that it wasn't in Ireland. He then proceeded to say 'Like all your kind friends and neighbours in this beautiful estate, I'll assume that you will sign up to donate with us for the next 6 weeks'. I proceeded to close the door.

Back