Has anyone got a top up mortgage with First Active?

Jan07

Just wondering has anyone got a top up mortgage with first active? We applied about 2 months ago and everything seemed above board. Just had to get mortgage protection cover for the amount requested which did take a while (2 months to be exact). We had regular contact with a mortgage representative who informed me today that they wouldn't be giving us the loan based on the fact that my partner has started a new job 4 months ago and is on probation (his company is a well known and reputable employer might I add, plus he has other income part time). Eh to say the least I was a little bit irritated that this hadn't been stated from the start. Totally frustrated by the lack of customer service. It's like saying oh yes you can have it and then no you cant in the one breath!! Considering we have a mortgage with first active and have a good track record..is this a little harsh?? For the record I'll be looking into switching tomorrow. Any advice greatly appreciated.

If your partner has moved from a similar type role to his/her new job, then it shouldn't be a problem switching.

In my opinion, in all the banks I currently work with, First Active 'customer service' is by far the worst I have ever come across.

We applied and got a first active top up mortgage with no hassle 2 years ago and after increasing my life cover (again this was fast) the whole process only took 2 weeks. We hadn't changed jobs or circumstances at the time though and the top-up amount was small. Definately found the manager in the Branch we deal with to be very efficient - Mallow Branch - so suppose it depends on the Branch.

I got a top-up with first active last year, through the Drumcondra branch. It was all very easy and only took about 2 weeks.

I did too but I haven't changed my job. The other posters don't say if they have. Still its a bit funny that they (FA) were prepared to grant the initial mortgage not the top-up - have you asked them to justify this? Post what they said was the reason here... (e.g. perhaps you exceed your borrowing limit with the topup?)

It appears from initial post that the reason the top up was declined was due to probation period with new job. This presumably was not the case when the original mortgage was applied for. Probation in a job is usually a problem with a new mortgage but a top up you would think would be more lenient. However comparisons with FA service pre Oct 06 bear no relation to the present position now that there has been combining of systems due to the RBS/Ulster Bank takeover.

Back