Hard Border between NI and ROI

On a less serious note I hope this stops the plague of yellow regs...
Although extra concerning if involved with a collision with such a car if doubts on their insurance status

British drivers needs a Green Card when they drive in the EU. If they don't have GB it on their number plates, they also need a GB sticker.

British drivers needs a Green Card when they drive in the EU. If they don't have GB it on their number plates, they also need a GB sticker.

But they are not necessarily British drivers. They could be Irish citizens living in NI. There is quite a few apparently given the surge of passport applications from NI following Brexit vote.

But they are not necessarily British drivers. They could be Irish citizens living in NI. There is quite a few apparently given the surge of passport applications from NI following Brexit vote.

That's not relevant, they live in and are insured to drive within a non-EU country. It's no different to an Irish citizen living in Russia, driving a Russian registered car with Russian insurance, they would need a Green card if they drove into the EU

That's not relevant, they live in and are insured to drive within a non-EU country. It's no different to an Irish citizen living in Russia, driving a Russian registered car with Russian insurance, they would need a Green card if they drove into the EU

Isn't there a common travel area between UK and Ireland? And the whole point of NI Protocol was to prevent borders on the island of Ireland. Just seems silly to me.

Isn't there a common travel area between UK and Ireland? And the whole point of NI Protocol was to prevent borders on the island of Ireland. Just seems silly to me.
Since when has something being silly stopped it from being a rule?

Since when has something being silly stopped it from being a rule?

It hasnt. I misconstrued @Peanuts20 original point about 'British drivers', that was silly of me as it was obvious he meant British registered vehicles.
But even at that, the purpose of the border at sea I thought would be to prevent the need for such measures. Perhaps an All Island approach needs to be introduced.

This was well documented in the media during negotiations (there was a period when it looked like Irish drivers would require a green card to drive in the UK) and covered here in the past.

Thanks @Leo. I thought this one had slipped under the radar and I was with @WolfeTone that I thought all physical manifestations of the difference between NI and RoI would be kept off the island. But I suppose it is mere paperwork, no actual requirement to apply for a Green Card which might be rejected.

Back