Happy United Irishmen & Women Day!

Betsy Og

If you were as visionary as me we'd all be on a bank holiday.....:p

It will happen as part of UI deal, might as well do it now on our own terms. 11th night beacons & bbqs, no fleggery, a few games in Croker, a parade down O'Connell Street, what's not to like.

If you were as visionary as me we'd all be on a bank holiday.....:p

It will happen as part of UI deal, might as well do it now on our own terms. 11th night beacons & bbqs, no fleggery, a few games in Croker, a parade down O'Connell Street, what's not to like.
We should also pick out a battle fought in a foreign country by two foreign kings to commemorate.

We should also pick out a battle fought in a foreign country by two foreign kings to commemorate.
If we absolutely have to then Culloden would be my pick (no triumphalism here your honour....), but I think we might suffer from brand confusion, best to stick with a vague "once upon a time we wuz "all*" in this together and will be again....but in peace & harmony next time".

*all is a fair stretch, but there was at least some "cross-community" aspect to it.

A few orange bands intermingled in a parade down O'Connell Street, baby steps. Giving the lie to "they'll never respect our culture" and also helping them to detoxify - if they are invited or welcomed they should march accordion-ly. :p From the green perspective I think we need to welcome appropriate marches (where welcomed) and bonfires (minus flags etc.).

If we absolutely have to then Culloden would be my pick (no triumphalism here your honour....), but I think we might suffer from brand confusion, best to stick with a vague "once upon a time we wuz "all*" in this together and will be again....but in peace & harmony next time".

*all is a fair stretch, but there was at least some "cross-community" aspect to it.
We'll have to find a battle where Christians from different countries united against a common enemy. How about the capture of Jerusalem in 1099? Christians from all over Europe united to slaughter Muslim and Jewish men women and children in the name of Christ.

A few orange bands intermingled in a parade down O'Connell Street, baby steps. Giving the lie to "they'll never respect our culture" and also helping them to detoxify - if they are invited or welcomed they should march accordion-ly. :p From the green perspective I think we need to welcome appropriate marches (where welcomed) and bonfires (minus flags etc.).
I say give everyone a Sash. We could even write a song about sashes that children could sing about their father.
It would kill Scottish football though; hatred is all that keeps them going.

hatred is all that keeps them going.
This is half my point, there's no satisfaction (of the wrong variety anyway) if you've been invited to walk the Uachtaran's Highway. So they'll have to make up their mind is their culture the march and the tunes and the bonfire, or sticking it to the fenians.

This is half my point, there's no satisfaction (of the wrong variety anyway) if you've been invited to walk the Uachtaran's Highway. So they'll have to make up their mind is their culture the march and the tunes and the bonfire, or sticking it to the fenians.
The problem for the Orange Order is that it's struggling to retain members as it is and without the 12th they would have nothing.

The problem for the Orange Order is that it's struggling to retain members as it is and without the 12th they would have nothing.
We'll always have the Twalfth........... (in a lover's goodbye type of way....as opposed to my personal wish).

Is it struggling because it is not staunch enough?, or because the arch conservatism and anti-catholic tinge is just not that attractive to young people? I think its the latter. Many seems afflicted by the "equality = defeat" approach to life (reading Susan McKays book at the moment). While we get our knickers in a knot over 3 or 4 bonfires, there's probably a couple of hundred bonfires and marches today that will be grand family days out, and more luck to them.

I say give everyone a Sash. We could even write a song about sashes that children could sing about their father.
It would kill Scottish football though; hatred is all that keeps them going.
Believe it or not, it was not unusual for Catholics to sing about the sash as a party piece all over Ireland once upon a time, I am old enough to remember old people singing about the sash,
anyone else remembers songs about the sash in their lifetime,

Last edited:
Back