Haggling with car dealers?

Vince

I'm looking to buy my first ever car. I've decided to buy from a dealer rather than a private seller. I'm therefore looking for a bit of advice.

I want to buy a '01 / '02 Ford Focus and there are a few knocking about for about 11995 Euro.

I am a cash buyer and am ready to haggle with a dealer.

Do you reckon that I could easily get a grand knocked off straight away on the forecourt price?

As long as you go in with the right information you should be able to get a good deal. Do your research on what type of focus you're looking for and know what the prices for various mileages and equipment levels. Even be able to say that another garage has a car that you're interested in buying, buying from a dealer rather than private should only cost you about 1000 to 1500 extra. When you aren't getting any more movement on price try looking for things that are worth more to you than to the dealer. If you get a service included it'll be worth 100-200 more to you than its costs the dealer to provide, same for better alloys, new floor mats if the ones in the car are scruffy. Stereo upgrade or even just a free valetting just before valentines day if you're looking to impress. Most importantly if when you've reached the lowest figure they'll go to and they then try to get you to go with their financing package (these are sometimes very good value) look for a further reduction if you're going to take it as they get commission on everyone who takes up their finance package.
Don't be afraid to walk away, there a lot of 01/02 focus' out there so get the best deal on the best one.

Vince said:
I'm looking to buy my first ever car. I've decided to buy from a dealer rather than a private seller. I'm therefore looking for a bit of advice.

I want to buy a '01 / '02 Ford Focus and there are a few knocking about for about 11995 Euro.

I am a cash buyer and am ready to haggle with a dealer.

Do you reckon that I could easily get a grand knocked off straight away on the forecourt price?

From my experience cash and not trading in is an instant discount. The second hand market is awash with qaulity second hand cars at the moment

Check out prices on CBG.ie - you can even get them to email when new cars matching your criteria are added to the site.

UpTheBanner said:
Hi,

if you enter your car details on https://www.ros.ie:/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT
you'll get the true market value thus determining if the dealer is a rip off merchant.

So this is what I get when I do this:
DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): OCTOBER 2002
OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE (applicable on enquiry date) €9836
RATE OF TAX: 22.5%
VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX: (payable on enquiry date) €2213

So is the market value €9836 + VRT €2213?

Or is it just €9836? (I'm presuming not)

That's unbelieveable!
So what I am seeing are cars marked up by a minimum of €2000 and in most cases €3000.
I understand these guys need to make a profit but bloody hell!!!

So I reckon if I turn up at the dealers with a print out of the car details from www.ros.ie I will be in a very good position to haggle.

Thanks a million for everyone's advice.
Much appreciated!

There are big differences between the revenues value and a true omv.

Don't rely on that VRT calculator.

Hi,

the difference between the VRO calc and the "total import price" are similar but the Irish car dealers, IMHO, are making huge profit margins because they charge so much more than the VRO's market price. Hence the big difference between the VRO calc versus the Irish dealer price.

The Revenue are well versed in extracting taxes and again IMHO would not miss a trick by have a "low" market price listed.

I believe its due to a lack of true competition here.

You will easily get a grand off try going to two or three and when you have your prices ring the worse dealers with prices back and say what you have been given and ask can they beat it as you are doing a deal tomorrow.I'm a salesman and hate it.

I tend to decide what I'm willing to pay for a car (and it is usually alot less than advertised prices) and then search till I get somebody who is willing to sell one for that money. Granted I'm always buying second hand and I tend not to pay any heed to sticker prices cause they are a nonsence*.

Buying a car from a dealer is a drama. There are 2 parts, salesman and customer. Either can be the lead role and this is all dependent on who is in control. As a customer the best way to cease control is to be sure of what you want and have a good idea of what it is worth.

* Take a look on Carzone - many cars are pictured with a price in the windscreen and the text of the advert has a lower price.

Back