Gym Cancellation Fee

Leesider32

Hi all,

I went to cancel my gym membership and in the T&Cs it says that there is a 3 month notice period required. Obviously this was never mentioned on join up and I didn't think to ask but 3 months is a bit ridiculous.

Anyway what would be the repercussions if I just said no and cancelled the DD?

Thanks

Hi all,

I went to cancel my gym membership and in the T&Cs it says that there is a 3 month notice period required. Obviously this was never mentioned on join up and I didn't think to ask but 3 months is a bit ridiculous.

Anyway what would be the repercussions if I just said no and cancelled the DD?

Thanks

If it was in the Ts and Cs it was mentioned.

Likelihood of them chasing you if you cancel your DDs and break the contract is small but they still might.

Thanks for your reply, yeah I suppose they could chase me but then would there be any extra financial penalty? Presume it could effect my credit rating but i'd end up paying the same.

Suck it up, your fault but i'm sure you'll find something that makes it theirs. That's my opinion. BTW, if it's the well known GYM with several outlets in Dublin they will issue legal proceedings and rightly so too.

Suck it up, your fault but i'm sure you'll find something that makes it theirs. That's my opinion. BTW, if it's the well known GYM with several outlets in Dublin they will issue legal proceedings and rightly so too.

Thanks for your reply, you have shown me the light, it is not their fault or mine but I am now convinced it is yours!!! ;-)

I'd have it out with them. A lot of the time they put these things in to discourage people from leaving but if you have it out with them they'll let it go. They aren't going to pursue you for 3 months gym membership. Even the more expensive ones at €200 a month won't be able to spend money in getting €600 off you. Most of them don't make enough money to be able to pay someone to come after you.

And if they didn't tell you about the minimum term at the beginning, I'd let them sing for it. Even the mobile companies warn you up front about cancellation fees.

Back