Gutter replacement

Parazard2

I need to replace my bit of an old gutter (heavy old style type to be replaced with hard plastic) if a terraced house. There are wires so gutter guy is saying cherry picker can't be used and he needs scaffolding. He said I would need to get permission for this. Where do I start?

You should discuss with the neighbours at both sides, but even if they're unhappy, you would be perfectly entitled to replace the vast majority of guttering on your property so long as you don't affect theirs.

Just to mention, all the houses on my street had the old cast-iron guttering. One neighbour replaced them with plastic guttering and, following heavy snow a few yrs back, his plastic gutters detached from the roof and had to be replaced. All the cast-iron ones were fine.

That's just a sign of a poor job on the replacements.

The cast iron ones are unlikely to have been maintained properly over the years and are far more likely to pose a danger. I replaced the ones on my last house and noted some of the fixings were +90% corroded. I was lucky a storm hadn't taken them down and killed someone, there is serious weight in the cast iron.

That's all well and good if you hire it yourself you're entitled to work away yourself and assemble it.

However, if you hire this with the expectation that the guttering man will work from it, you will need to have the scaffolding assembled and signed off by a suitably qualified person which will add significantly to the cost.

If you're goign to the trouble of renting scaffold, do any other jobs that might need doing at the same time - clean & paint facia boards & soffets, windows a good proper clean, paint windowcills etc. Are there any bits needing looking at on the roof - you'll need more scaffold but now is the time to do them!