Gun barrel heating system

clarence

My mother has a gun barrel heating system in her house- house and system are 58 years old. She wants to convert her bathroom and separate toilet next door into one bigger bathroom but this would mean getting rid of a radiator at the adjoining wall. Is it possible to remove the radiator without ‘upsetting’ the heating system? I have been told by one contractor that it is not possible and will result in replacing the entire system.

After almost 60 years I wonder how efficient the heating system is? Is the boiler gas or oil fired?

It might be worth costing out replacement vs potential energy savings?

What is a "gun barrel" heating system?
It is a heating system that did not use copper or flexible piping but instead utilised piping known as 'gun barrel '.
This is a seamless steel pipe and while it offers superior physical protection above copper it can be prone to rusting.

You could cap off the pipes which supply the rad which won't effect the other rads in the house.you would need too drain the heating system first though.is the said rad upstairs or downstairs ?

As above, gun barrel just refers to the piping in use, don't assume any other element of the heating system is of the same vintage as rads, boilers, pumps, etc., generally have a much shorter lifespan.

Any plumber worth their salt will be able to alter gun barrel and join in copper as required. Remember if getting rid of a rad, you will generally need add one somewhere else or increase the size of the one in the now larger room to ensure there is sufficient capacity to heat the room.

You could cap off the pipes which supply the rad which won't effect the other rads in the house.you would need too drain the heating system first though.is the said rad upstairs or downstairs ?
The rad is upstairs. I was hoping that we could do as you suggest, without causing problems to the system. Does it make a difference if rad is upstairs?

As above, gun barrel just refers to the piping in use, don't assume any other element of the heating system is of the same vintage as rads, boilers, pumps, etc., generally have a much shorter lifespan.

Any plumber worth their salt will be able to alter gun barrel and join in copper as required. Remember if getting rid of a rad, you will generally need add one somewhere else or increase the size of the one in the now larger room to ensure there is sufficient capacity to heat the room.
So the plumber should be able to remove the current rad without upsetting the current system and then add in a new rad with copper piping to the existing gun barrel system without any problems? That would be brilliant, if so!

I have been told by one contractor that it is not possible and will result in replacing the entire system.
It's possible to do it, or to pipe in a more modern radiator to the existing system. You can even buy fittings to convert between gun barrel and copper pipe sizes.

The main problem is gun barrel only has an expected life of about 35 years, as the pipes start to rust from the inside. Systems can last much longer without any leaks, especially if it's a completely sealed system, but once they start you're in trouble.

People don't like touching them as they invariably lead to lots of unforseen trouble. And if it starts to leak next year, they'll get blamed.

For a bathroom, would they consider an electric heating solution? I'm planning a renovation here and looking at electric options that can be put on a timer completely independent of the main heating system. You can even get underfloor that way, or heated towel rails, etc. I like the idea of stepping out of a shower onto a warm floor.

So the plumber should be able to remove the current rad without upsetting the current system and then add in a new rad with copper piping to the existing gun barrel system without any problems? That would be brilliant, if so!

With the rad being upstairs the plumber will need too drain the system of water.(while draining you might as well get the system flushed of sludge which builds up in GB pipes).he can then strip the pipes back too the nearest fitting and get GB - copper adapters too convert too copper.he will put new rad valves on the copper pipes and refill the system.he might get away with only draining upstairs but will only know this once is turns off all the rads.
There would be about 4hrs work in total costing about €150-€200.

If he cannot remove the GB or it breaks as he tries taken it off it will cost a bit more.

Flushing a GB system will add about 2 years lifespan too the system

With the rad being upstairs the plumber will need too drain the system of water.(while draining you might as well get the system flushed of sludge which builds up in GB pipes).he can then strip the pipes back too the nearest fitting and get GB - copper adapters too convert too copper.he will put new rad valves on the copper pipes and refill the system.he might get away with only draining upstairs but will only know this once is turns off all the rads.
There would be about 4hrs work in total costing about €150-€200.

If he cannot remove the GB or it breaks as he tries taken it off it will cost a bit more.

And lead to unforseen leaks in your pipes buried by concrete by pressurising & stressing old fittings, anywhere in your downstairs piping.
Please avoid this 'advice', unless you fully understand the implications of turning a simple straightforward bathroom radiator change into a full heating system overall, and money to pay for it!

And lead to unforseen leaks in your pipes buried by concrete by pressurising & stressing old fittings, anywhere in your downstairs piping.
Please avoid this 'advice', unless you fully understand the implications of turning a simple straightforward bathroom radiator change into a full heating system overall, and money to pay for it!

I'm assuming the plumber doing the job would fully understand the pros & cons of replacing any part of a heating system.
They would not be touching any part of the pipe work down stairs if the rad is upstairs.
They would drain the system
From down stairs and that's it.

I'd love to see a reference to this, that's not from a company providing power flushing. I had understood that draining / flushing a closed system risks introducing air to the system and speeding up corrosion. Of course the other argument is that flushing doesn't cause any damage, but might uncover issues that the sludge in the system had been covering up.
I've never seen any reliable independent information on it.

It's possible to do it, or to pipe in a more modern radiator to the existing system. You can even buy fittings to convert between gun barrel and copper pipe sizes.

The main problem is gun barrel only has an expected life of about 35 years, as the pipes start to rust from the inside. Systems can last much longer without any leaks, especially if it's a completely sealed system, but once they start you're in trouble.

People don't like touching them as they invariably lead to lots of unforseen trouble. And if it starts to leak next year, they'll get blamed.

For a bathroom, would they consider an electric heating solution? I'm planning a renovation here and looking at electric options that can be put on a timer completely independent of the main heating system. You can even get underfloor that way, or heated towel rails, etc. I like the idea of stepping out of a shower onto a warm floor.
Hi red onion, thanks for that. I would be very scared to potentially break the seal on this 58 year old system and cause a whole heap of trouble down the line.... from what you say, you have confirmed that possibility so I think we won’t kick that hornet’s nest and leave well enough alone! Thanks for your help.

Back