Green Party TD supports requiring landlords who sell, to keep the tenant in situ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has its advantages but once again they want to regulate the process. Who does the valuation? How is it chosen? I got a property valued, EA have different approaches. Would it need to be a valuation that you pay for like in fair deal or for a loan at the charge of the LL? Would they automatically need that valuation done or only when tenants show some kind of interest? I can understand that tenants could be involved in the process and informed but if the process is mandatory, for me, it is just another costs to the LL. I am pretty sure that without a law, a tenant interested to buy a property sold by his LL would contact the owner to discuss.

That is the market that been created with no consideration for LLs. No one can say they weren't warned.
Markets are never created with any consideration for anyone. They are just created and operate based on supply and demand. They are distorted and broken when governments seek to take participants into consideration.

no protection for the LL
The only protection a property owner needs on their rental property is to quickly remove non-paying tenants and regain control of their property at the end of the signed lease agreement.
Duration of said lease to be a matter between tenant and property owner; I've already outlined how longer leases might be made more attractive.

SF, just like the DUP, have no real respect for democracy and see it simply as a means to an end.
Their policies will make our housing shortage worse as they will further distort the supply side of the market.
Devil's advocate - if the DUP and SF between them are so bad, how come Northern Ireland doesn't have a housing crisis like we have?

Devil's advocate - if the DUP and SF between them are so bad, how come Northern Ireland doesn't have a housing crisis like we have?

What leads you to that conclusion?

Social housing: Man told 'no point' in applying as demand surges

Making big policy decisions on the hoof to head off political opposition is always a recipe for disaster. Just look at the RPZ regime…,

Agreed 100%. I assume that, other than the massive loss of face, losing tomorrow's vote won't actually meant anything politically?

It's actually Labour's coming no-confidence motion that the raggle-taggle government really needs to win.

Last edited:
I guess with some of the non-HAP schemes, long term, the tenant is paying for the purchase, so it might not have net impact long term on state funding for new units.

For HAP in terms of keeping funding for building new units, renting from private landlords seems better than buying, but that would involve various changes to incentivise the landlords not to sell rather than buying them out.

Exiting landlords could spend their proceeds on buying foreign assets like stock,property or spend it on foreign holidays.As repeated here many times Government should incentivise landlords stay and invest here with Tax incentives-rent-room allowance,CGT.Why not 20% tax deducted at source for HAP tenancies(as for out of state landlords).Seriously address onerous regulation.RTB not fit for purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back