Great response by Amex on disputed transactions

RainyDay

We're very quick to criticise the banks for poor service round here, so I'm going to take a moment to give credit to Amex (run by Bank of Ireland Card Services in Ireland) for their handling of some disputed transactions recently.

On checking my Amex statement after a recent holiday in Italy, I was stunned to find a transaction from an Esso station for €3,800.00. I knew I had filled up my rental car in Naples before returning it, but it was only a Nissan Primera, and I don't think the tanks are quite that big. I immediately checked my receipts, and I was doubly stunned to find that I had signed a receipt for €3,800.00! For someone who is usually a bit of a control freak on financial matters, this was quite embarrasing & worrying. I know I was a bit flustered when getting petrol, as I had got a bit lost in downtown Naples.

I reported the transaction to Amex on the next day, and followed up with a letter outlining my concerns. I was worries that this was not a simple error, but was a definite attempt at fraud. Initially, I got the standard response by letter from Amex, but when I followed this up by phone, they took my concerns very seriously. They immediately disputed the transaction via their chargeback process.

I also reported the matter to Esso Ireland who agreed to follow up through their international network. Esso came back a couple of weeks later telling me that it was a genuine error and a credit was being put back onto my account. However, I was most impressed that Amex stayed right on top of the case. I got an update phone call from one particular person on their chargeback team each week, even when there was no real news to tell me. They even contacted Esso Ireland directly (without me prompting them) to try to speed up the credit process. They called me with the good news this week that the credit had come through. I withdraw all those comments I made about the Naples mafiosi.

My next Amex bill contained 3 transactions totalling nearly €300 on my wife's card for an online dating service IPAY Friend Finder [No smart comments please]. Her card has never been used online, so I disputed these with Amex immediately. The intial response was that they would query the transactions, but I was told I'd have the pay the amounts in the interim. I kicked up a bit of a fuss, and their chargeback team confirmed that I didn't have to pay the amounts and they would charge them back to the vendor.

So thanks to Amex for a great result on both transactions.

I found with AIB visa last year their follow up of our spending was very thorough. We had travelled to Los Angeles, New Zealand and a lot of Australia using the card in cities and the outback with hiring camper vans and cars and motels etc

On our way home we stayed in Bangkok and had a request from a family member to bring back a Sony cyber dog which we purchased and the cost was about 1085.00 euro and used our card.

We were home a couple of days when we had a call from the Aib visa enquiring if we were aware of the big spend that was made in Bangkok, which we were but we asked them to cancel our original card and issue us with a new one as the number the (at this stage) old one had been used in too many place

Rainy,

A word of caution on the fraudulent use of your wife's card on the internet dating site (I'm trying, and currently succeeding, to avoid the cheap jibes that so demean much of what we do here....).

If they've got her details (whoever they are), they'll use them again. It's happened to me and the repitition of the crime is really frustrating - it makes opening your monthly statement even more nerve-wracking than usual.

Should you not consider pre-emptively changing your account number?

Is it not standard practice to kill the account number and issue a new number if being used for fraud?

Having resisted temptation for many years, I finally decided to give the internet poker a lash and opened an account last night with Ladbrokespoker.com and lodged €400 by AIB Visa card.

I got a message - "transaction declined", so I had to put off the poker bug for another couple of days.

I got a call,unprompted, from AIB this morning saying that they had automatically declined the transaction for security reasons as it was out of keeping with the usual transactions on my account!

A mild inconvenience, but it's nice to know that they are keeping an eye on my spending habits.

I don't know what this says about me, but the last time they called was 1981 to ask if some cash withdrawals in Las Vegas were genuine. It would have been a bit late by then as the cash had been withdrawn, and was long gone!

Brendan

oysterman said:
If they've got her details (whoever they are), they'll use them again. It's happened to me and the repitition of the crime is really frustrating - it makes opening your monthly statement even more nerve-wracking than usual.

Should you not consider pre-emptively changing your account number?
The Amex chargebacks person told me they would close the old account and issue a new account number straight away. I didn't really have any choice in the matter, though I don't disagree with them. Fortunately, Amex have seperate card numbers for each card on the account - as all the standard orders are on my card number, I didn't have to worry about changing all of these. They got the new card out very quickly too (2 or 3 days).

Brendan said:
I don't know what this says about me, but the last time they called was 1981 to ask if some cash withdrawals in Las Vegas were genuine. It would have been a bit late by then as the cash had been withdrawn, and was long gone!
I have visions of some lady in AIB lecturing you with 'I told you last time not to wasting your money on that bloody gambling, and here you go again....'

bond-007 said:
Is it not standard practice to kill the account number and issue a new number if being used for fraud?
Amazingly enough, no. At least not in my case. AIB didn't seem too bothered and, in fact, permitted a similar transaction from the same one in Vilnius that was "under investigation" for the first fraud I'd reported. (It's all on the thread .)

Back