Grass fed organic meats

The green door market in Newmarket square has an organic butchers in Dublin. They are there on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Quite pricey and the earlier you get there on a Saturday the better. I'm pretty sure they have a stall at the farmers markets around the place as well.

By grass-fed, I presume you're only talking beef? Others will suffer if only grass-fed.

I doubt there are very many beef producers who will guarantee their products are solely grass-fed after weaning. The site you linked acknowledge that while their emphasis is on grazing, they supplement as necessary.

Almost all locally-reared and -slaughtered beef in Ireland is mostly grass-fed and essentially, if not necessarily technically, organic. Worth talking to a good local butcher.

Almost all locally-reared and -slaughtered beef in Ireland is mostly grass-fed and essentially, if not necessarily technically, organic. Worth talking to a good local butcher.
No it's not. Unless you're talking about small scale hobby farmers, the majority of Irish beef is finished indoors with strictly controlled feeding, including barley, maize and soya. Over a period of 2+ years it's not practical to raise beef exclusively on grass.
I don't buy into the whole grass fed being better, and agree the amount of antibiotics / medication used in beef farming here might be lower than other countries, but it's by no means close to organic standards particularly when you look at fertilisers and chemicals used in feedstuff production (including grass).
I agree though re approaching a butcher, if they slaughter their own cattle, but there are very few of those left. or even a farmer selling directly at a farmers market - talk to them about the general treatment of the animals. I personally don't think the price point is justified for organic meat in this country.
All said as I tuck into a burger that might not even be beef!

Dream on @T McGibney. "Almost all" locally-reared and slaughtered beef are fed supplements, including corn and God knows what else. Cattle reared for the beef trade are fed indoors for the winter on a mixture of hay and silage PLUS supplementary feed not consisting of grass. Nor is the grass most cattle graze on organic. It too will have artificial fertilisers spread on it as well as "weed-suppressants". Organic beef? Not within a million miles of it I'm afraid, the one thing we could probably have made a massive success of.

Dream on @T McGibney. "Almost all" locally-reared and slaughtered beef are fed supplements, including corn and God knows what else. Cattle reared for the beef trade are fed indoors for the winter on a mixture of hay and silage PLUS supplementary feed not consisting of grass. Nor is the grass most cattle graze on organic. It too will have artificial fertilisers spread on it as well as "weed-suppressants". Organic beef? Not within a million miles of it I'm afraid, the one thing we could probably have made a massive success of.

You seem to have a different definition of "locally-reared and slaughtered beef" than I do. There are plenty of beef farmers out there who eschew feed supplements, fertilisers, weed-suppressants and the like, if only for cost reasons. That's why I suggested chatting to a butcher.

BTW, if "organic" these days involves the wanton cruelty of leaving forlorn cattle out on wet hillsides for the 5 months of the Irish winter, I think I'll pass on it myself, thanks.

No more angel dust in your part of the world then.

BTW, if "organic" these days involves the wanton cruelty of leaving forlorn cattle out on wet hillsides for the 5 months of the Irish winter, I think I'll pass on it myself, thanks.
Big +1 to that. I'm not a fan of the whole organic thing. It's way too simplistic. There are plenty of way to produce good quality food, including veg and meat, while using fertilisers and modern production methods, and not compromising the nutritional value and quality of the end product and not damaging the environment.

Big +1 to that. I'm not a fan of the whole organic thing. It's way too simplistic. There are plenty of way to produce good quality food, including veg and meat, while using fertilisers and modern production methods, and not compromising the nutritional value and quality of the end product and not damaging the environment.

In what way Purple? Regardless of the nutritional value, by choosing organic you're not exposed to 50+ chemicals or GMO. Certain chemicals are permitted in organic production but only a few.

Back