Grant to convert commrcial to residential

Roro999

A mixed use property has come up for sale near me. Commercial unit ground floor and tenant in situ first floor. The commercial unit was last occupied about 9 months ago.
Is there a grant available to change the commercial unit to residential and would I need planning to change it ?

Don’t think there’s a specific grant for changing commercial to residential

Yes, you would need planning permission for change of use

Have a look through the Bringing Back Homes guide.

The recent changes have eliminated the need for planning to convert a former commercial unit to residential use, but it must have been vacant for 2+ years.

Have a look through the Bringing Back Homes guide.

The recent changes have eliminated the need for planning to convert a former commercial unit to residential use, but it must have been vacant for 2+ years.
Vacant about 9 months. If I buy and wait another 15 months would that suffice for no planning and would I get a grant to do up to residential under derelict grant ?

Vacant about 9 months. If I buy and wait another 15 months would that suffice for no planning
Yes, unless the terms of that program change in the meantime. So review any proposed amendments and consult with your local authority before taking the plungs.

and would I get a grant to do up to residential under derelict grant ?
It doesn't sound like it's truly derelict...and leaving it empty for a time isn't sufficient to qualify.

No grant that i know of to change it from commercial to residential. You would qualify for the vacant homes grant of 50K if you left it until it was vacant for 2 years but you wouldn't qualify for the additional 20K derelict home top up unless you can get a report from an engineer / architect stating the building is unsafe and needs to be completely redone. Check with the council about the building in question before making any moves though.

Regarding the planning permission, I don't know the answer to that, but I'm going to follow it up as I'm considering doing something similar to you at the moment and it's the planning piece putting me off.

Back