Grant of Probate

Blarney

HI All,
Can anyone tell me approx how much solicitors are charging for this? I got a quote of 3% of the estate value which would amount to 12,000 which seems really over the top. I was expecting 5 to 6k.

It would be straight forward with the property going from a parents name to 2 sons 50/50. Only slight complication was that their was no will but I wouldnt imagine that would add to the solicitors cost.

Thanks

blarney

The solicitor handling my mother's estate which was around € 600,000 charged € 1,500 + VAT + sundries = € 2,500. However she also got to handle my father's probate (it wasn't done when he died 4 years earlier) and the sale of the house to one of my brothers. Total charges were €5,000.

I did a some of the preparatory work (getting bank statements, valuations, income tax returns to revenue, etc) which involved some time on my part but wasn't difficult or complex.

I don't think the absence of a will justifies the 3% cost - try a different solicitor.

Thanks for your really prompt reply jpd. I have already placed calls to 2 other solicitors for quotes so it will be interesting to see what they come back with.

My mother in law died two years ago and we were charged at least 3%. Estate valued 450K which included the house which was sold. I think the fees were €12,000 plus vat and ol this included the fee to sell the house.

I would recommend applying for probate yourself. There is great advice on AAM and they very helpful in the probate office. I did it recently. Fee €200 - thought it would be extremely difficult but it wasn't. There was no will - and it was straightforward. Obviously if the estate has complications attached - a solicitor would be the best option.

Hi Blarney,

Would agree with Lorrie, have just complete probate for my mothers estate. Like you it involves the transfer of property. We took care of probate ourselves and are now working with a solicitor to transfer the title deeds.

I talked to my solicitor before hand and she suggested this. Meant paying about 1200 euros probate versus over 20 grand fees. Obviously there will be a charged for transfer of title deeds but is on a fixed basis rather then percentage. Was impressed to get the advice from my solicitor as my mothers original solicitor was pushing to do it for us.

The staff in the probate office are very helpful

Lorrie said:
I would recommend applying for probate yourself. There is great advice on AAM and they very helpful in the probate office. I did it recently. Fee €200 - thought it would be extremely difficult but it wasn't. There was no will - and it was straightforward. Obviously if the estate has complications attached - a solicitor would be the best option.
Agree 100% with Lorrie. I did it all myself when my mother died. Don't remember one bit of hassle. It takes time, of course, but it does anyway, no matter who does it for you. Small cost involved, as previous posters have said, but nothing like thousands - not even one thousand - hundreds or less. Strongly advise you to do it yourself. Only when people start to do these things themselves will the solicitors take notice and reduce their fees.

Back